The Grand Canyon in winter is a magical place. The Canyon is shrouded in soft light, crisp winter air, and often a dusting of snow that enhances both the serenity and beauty of this park. The summer crowds are gone and the viewpoints often provide solitude for your creative compositions.
Join photographer Larry Lindahl for this three-day winter photography workshop. Larry has spent countless days photographing the beauty of the canyon and will assist participants with field techniques to ensure you take home stunning images. When not in the field, Larry will provide classroom instruction and image critiques to help hone your skills.
During the workshop, we will visit several of the Canyon’s overlooks to capture the beautiful light and sweeping views. And with help from Mother Nature, our visit may include a soft white mantle of snow blanketing our landscapes.
Join us at the Canyon for the calm and quiet of winter’s embrace.
- Photographic instruction
- Two nights of single occupancy lodging
- Photography permit
- Water, snacks, and a group dinner
- Post-workshop critique
What’s Not Included:
- Transportation to the Grand Canyon (carpooling will be encouraged to minimize congestion)
- Meals (except for a group dinner)
- Park entrance fees
*Arizona Highways PhotoScapes is an authorized commercial use permittee.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Friday, January 13, 2023
- The group will kick off the workshop at 10:00 am with a meet and greet at our designated meeting location for a presentation by Larry.
- Break for lunch
- Depending on weather conditions, the group will either return to our meeting room for image critiques brought from home or head out for our first shoot of the canyon.
- Check in to our hotel (Yavapai West) in the mid-afternoon.
- Depart for our afternoon field session at one of the Canyon’s pristine viewpoints.
- Back to the lodge for dinner.
Day 2 – Saturday, January 14, 2023
- Leave for our sunrise shoot before dawn.
- Return to the lodge for breakfast.
- Once again, depending on weather conditions, we will either continue photographing the canyon or stay at the lodge to download and prepare our images for the critique.
- Break for lunch.
- In the early afternoon, we will hold a classroom image critique.
- In mid-afternoon, we will depart for a different viewpoint to photograph sweeping canyon vistas at sunset.
- Return for dinner.
Day 3 – Sunday, January 15, 2023
- On our last morning, we will again rise early to capture the winter sunrise over the Canyon and then continue to shoot through the good morning light.
- Return for breakfast.
- Review our field techniques and do a workshop debriefing.
- The workshop ends at noon.
Physical Rating: Moderate.
Short hikes on flat, graded, maintained trail for up to 2 miles round-trip. Warm, sturdy boots are recommended. As snow and ice can be present, participants should have a pair of Yak Tracks for their footwear. Participants should be prepared for cold weather and pack a parka, hat, gloves, along with hand and foot warmers.
Lodging During the Workshop
During the workshop, we will be staying at the Yavapai-West Lodge. The workshop fee is based on single occupancy. If you plan to arrive a day early on January 12, 2023, you must add the additional pre-workshop lodging during registration to guarantee availability.
TRAVEL INSURANCE IS RECOMMENDED
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.com or contact them at 800-228-9792 and reference location number 03-0147. Travel Insurance is underwritten by, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company, NAIC #22276. W20
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less the non-refundable $100 processing fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.