Winter might be the best season for photography at the South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park. The summer crowds are gone and the warm days are replaced with crisp cool air and tranquil serenity. With fewer people, it also means more opportunity to find wildlife within camera range.
Join Suzanne Mathia for this three-day winter photography workshop. Suzanne will work with you on field techniques and creative focus to ensure you take home some stunning photos. When not in the field, Suzanne will provide classroom instruction and image critiques. Her knowledge of the canyon and its spectacular vistas have given Suzanne many magazine publications, including several covers for Arizona Highways.
Photographing sunrise and sunset, we will visit several canyon overlooks to capture the beautiful light and sweeping views. And if mother nature cooperates with us, we will enjoy a soft white mantle of snow across our landscapes.
Join us to see the Grand Canyon as you’ve never seen it before – in the calm and quiet of winter’s embrace.
- Photographic instruction
- Single Occupancy Lodging
- Water, snacks and a farewell dinner
- All applicable park permit* fees
- Post workshop critique
What’s Not Included:
- Transportation within the park.
- Park entrance fees
*Arizona Highways PhotoScapes is an authorized commercial use permittee.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Saturday, January 18
- We will gather at Thunderbird Lodge’s Kiva Room meeting space at 10:00 am for a meet and greet and presentation by Suzanne. Thunderbird Lodge is located inside the park at 10 Albright Ave, Grand Canyon Village, AZ 86023.
- Break for lunch
- Depending on weather conditions, the group will either return to our meeting room for image critiques brought from home or head out for our first shoot of the canyon.
- Check in to our hotel (Yavapai West) in the mid-afternoon.
- Depart for our afternoon field session at one of the Canyon’s pristine viewpoints.
- Back to the lodge for dinner.
Day 2 – Sunday, January 19
- Leave for our sunrise shoot before dawn.
- Return to the lodge for breakfast.
- Once again, depending on weather conditions, we will either continue photographing the canyon or stay at the lodge to download and prepare our images for the critique.
- Break for lunch.
- In the early afternoon we will hold a classroom image critique.
- In mid-afternoon we will depart for a different viewpoint to photograph sweeping canyon vistas at sunset.
- Return for dinner.
Day 3 – Monday, January 20
- Our last morning, we will again rise early to capture the winter sunrise over the Canyon and then continue to shoot through the good morning light.
- Return for breakfast.
- Review our field techniques and do a workshop debriefing.
- The workshop ends at noon.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Short hikes on flat, graded, maintained trail for up to 2 miles round-trip. Warm, sturdy boots are recommended. As snow and ice can be present, participants should have a pair of Yak Tracks for their footwear. Participants should be prepared for cold weather and pack a parka, hat, gloves, and hand and foot warmers.
Lodging During the Workshop
Yavapai West Lodge
Grand Canyon South Rim
We will be staying at the Yavapai-West Lodge during this workshop. The workshop fee is based on single occupancy. If you plan to arrive a day early you must add the additional pre-workshop lodging during registration otherwise availability cannot be guaranteed.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.