Situated in the world’s largest gypsum dune field, White Sands National Park stands as a testament to one of the most magical places in the Southwest. Its gleaming white dunes continually change as the wind forms ripples, curved dunes and unique patterns that make stunning subjects for the camera. Under a wide sky, light and shadows play across the landscape, where a variety of plants and animals have adapted to the environment.
Curious white lizards scurry across the sand, leaving a line of tracks near the stark yuccas and other plants that punctuate the desert. At sunrise and twilight, the dunes take on a pink glow and more pronounced patterns emerge as shadows lengthen. We will be out on the dunes in time for sunrise and have special permission to be out after sunset to capture the dunes while a little sunset light is available to make striking images.
Join expert White Sands photographer, Suzanne Mathia to open up your creative palette to all the photographic possibilities.
- Photographic instruction
- Three nights lodging in Alamogordo, NM based on double occupancy
- Water and snacks
- Entrance, early/late access and permit fees
- Post-workshop critiques
Here’s what attendees say about this workshop.
AHPS workshops are excellent. They’re well organized; communication before, during and after is very effective; and, most importantly, the instruction and support for learning are unparalleled. I learned a lot, had great fun, met interesting people with whom I’ll stay in touch and got some wonderful shots. I heartily recommend AHPS workshops! — Elizabeth S.
I love Arizona Highways PhotoScapes workshops! I have attended several of them and am never disappointed. — Susan P.
Exceeded My Expectations and Was Well Organized From Start to Finish. Great Time. Mark W.
Amazing place and amazing instructor. — Elizabeth L.
This workshop introduced me to a new location, I made new friends, learned new photography techniques, and had a lot of fun along the way. — Greg V.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day One – Thursday, October 15
- This workshop begins and ends at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites, Alamogordo.
- Mid-morning we will kick-off the workshop with a presentation and orientation on safety.
- Mid-afternoon we will head over to White Sands National Park for an orientation from the Park Service and our first sunset shoot.
Day Two – Friday, October 16
- Early rise to reach the park an hour before sunrise. We will need adequate time for setup for the dramatic sunrise. We’ll continue shooting through mid-morning capturing the rich blue shadows and brilliant light on the dunes.
- Return to the hotel for rest, a lunch break and downloading images.
- Depart for afternoon and sunset shoot
Day Three – Saturday, October 17
- Early rise to for another spectacular sunrise.
- We will continue shooting through mid-morning.
- Break for lunch and downloading of images.
- Depart for a sunset shoot at the park.
Day Four – Sunday, October 18
- Last morning sunrise shoot
- Return to the hotel late morning to check-out of the hotel.
- Workshop adjourns.
The workshop involves hiking over acres of sand dunes. It is recommended that participants download a GPS app to their phone as it can be easy to get lost and/or disoriented in the park. MotionX-GPS is a great iPhone app.
Lodging During the Workshop:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
100 Kerry Ave
Alamogordo, NM 88310
Phone: (575) 434-9773
Three nights lodging at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Should you desire a single accommodation, you must request this during registration. If you are planning to meet our group in Alamogordo, we have a courtesy hold on rooms for the night of October 14th. This is not included in your workshop fee and must be booked directly with the hotel. Rooms will be released by October 1, 2020.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.