Explore the other-worldly rock formations of White Pocket with outdoor photographer Laurence Parent and create mind-boggling compositions from the textured red, orange, yellow, and white sandstone that has eroded into strange and surreal shapes. The domes, gullies, and other geologic features found in this area are unlike any other place in the world. The rock formations are perfectly located to allow golden hour light at both sunrise and sunset. September is at the end of the summer rainy season increasing the odds of getting dramatic skies and reflecting pools of water within the rocks.
Nestled in a remote area of the Paria Plateau, White Pocket requires 4×4 transportation to access this area. For our two nights in White Pocket, we have secured an outfitter to provide the backroad transportation and all the necessary gear for camping. Our campsite is just adjacent to the swirling, thin-layered strata, of contrasting color, and curious erosive features so you can return to camp at your leisure.
Prior to heading out for our camping excursion, we will spend one day and one night in Marble Canyon photographing the interesting landscapes along the Colorado River and Navajo Bridge at Lee’s Ferry.
Join Arizona Highways PhotoScapes for this excursion into a land of mystery and awe.
- Photographic instruction
- 4-wheeled roundtrip transportation from Cliff Dwellers at the Vermilion Cliffs.
- One night lodging at Cliff Dwellers, based on single occupancy.* Individual tents and sanitized sleeping bags are provided by the outfitter for our two nights in White Pocket. Should you wish to bring your own tent and camping gear, please let us know immediately so that we can accommodate the extra load. Space is extremely limited. Be prepared to pack mindfully, bringing only the necessary camera gear and limiting personal items to fit inside one duffel bag.
- All meals will be provided by the outfitter during our camping excursion.
- All applicable entrance, park, permit, and tour fees
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes obtains permits with BLM and Glen Canyon Recreation Area
*Double occupancy permitted for companions traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on weather and lighting conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Sunday, September 10, 2023
- The group will meet at the hotel at the Marble Canyon Lodge at Marble Canyon at 1:00 pm for a presentation and orientation on White Pocket.
- Depart late afternoon for a sunset shoot at Navajo Bridge and the surrounding area.
- Return to Marble Canyon Lodge for dinner and download.
Day 2 – Monday, September 11, 2023
- Up early for sunrise photography at nearby rock formations at the base of the Vermilion Cliffs.
- Return for brunch and if time allows an image critique.
- Meet our outfitters at 1:00 pm to pack up gear and head to White Pocket.
- Arrive at the campsite, outfitters provide orientation.
- We will then head out to various locations and shoot through sunset.
- Return to camp for dinner, relaxation, and night photography.
Day 3 – Tuesday, September 12, 2023
- Up at first light to capture the sweet light at White Pocket and capture the many interesting rock formations.
- During the harsh light, photographers can explore or sit back and relax at camp
- Mid-afternoon we are out once again for more great photography. We’ll stay out through sunset and return to camp for another delicious camp meal.
- Then it’s time to relax, unwind, share stories and enjoy shooting some stars.
Day 4 – Wednesday, September 13, 2023
- Last early rise to catch the sunrise on the Plateau and explore more intriguing rock formations.
- Back at camp for breakfast.
- Pack up mid-morning for our return to Marble Canyon.
- Arrive at noon.
- Workshop adjourns.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate to Slightly Difficult.
Short hikes up to 2 miles RT on uneven terrain. Distance is at your own discretion. Some scrambling on rocks. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots are recommended. Slight elevation changes.
As our outfitter puts it so eloquently….“We’re stoked to have earned the opportunity to host you! Keep in mind that our hikes take place in the 4,000 – 8,000 ft. elevation range, which can take adjustment for those who are acclimated to sea level. For the sake of maximizing enjoyment for yourself and the others who subsequently join the trip, if you have known physical difficulties please be more conservative and carefully consider the activity level. A guided tour will not fix your bad knees or make you young again. Physical inability can become a serious problem in the wilderness. Also, while we do everything we can to moderate hiking routes to fit our groups’ abilities, sometimes groups with mixed abilities require patience and understanding on both sides and with our guides. Have a fantastic time!”
The Workshop will Begin and End at Marble Canyon Lodge in the Vermillion Cliffs
We’ll spend our first night at the Marble Canyon Lodge at the Vermilion Cliffs. The first night is included in your workshop fees based on single occupancy. Double occupancy is permitted for companions traveling together. A discount will be provided. Should you desire to arrive a day early, we strongly encourage you to contact the lodge immediately as availability is extremely limited.
Dreamland Safari Tours
During our back-country excursion, Dreamland Safari will transport us via 4-wheel vehicles into White Pocket on the Paria Plateau. Campsite, gear, and meals will be provided by Dreamland Safari. Outfitted services are included in your workshop fee.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing at email@example.com. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less the non-refundable $100 processing fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.