Granite outcroppings and magenta skies complement the beautiful blue water of Watson Lake in winter; the perfect setting for a photo workshop! This weekend workshop offers photographers an opportunity to chase the winter light of sunrise and sunset along the shores of Watson Lake near Prescott Arizona. Whether you are interested in landscapes, wildlife, reflections, details, or abstract images, Amy Horn will take you to several great locations along the lake and assist you in capturing light and developing strong compositions.
We will take advantage of the clear, brisk mornings and warm afternoons to fine-tune our photographic techniques and capture images while observing the peaceful vistas. With so much water, Watson Lake is a perfect location to master the use of Neutral Density filters. We recommend any ND filters from 3-15 stops. A weekend spent with Amy and other passionate photographers will help you hone your skills, develop your vision, and have a memorable fun time.
- In-field Instruction
- Classroom orientation and image critiques
- Two nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Permits, Park entrance fees, and parking
- Snacks and water
- Post-workshop critique
This is a self-drive workshop. Carpooling will be encouraged.
*Double occupancy permitted for companions traveling together. Please note at the time of registration who is the other guest you will be sharing lodging with. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Friday, January 27, 2023
- Group will meet at the Hampton Inn by Hilton Conference Room at 1 pm in Prescott
- After a photographer presentation, we will check into rooms and then head out to our first sunset shoot at Watson Lake.
- Dinner and return to the hotel.
Day 2 – Saturday, January 28, 2023
- We will depart early to capture the sunrise at Watson Lake.
- In Mid-morning we will meet in the conference room for a short presentation on Lightroom post-processing and have time to download/process images.
- We will spend the afternoon and evening walking the historical Peavine Trail to photograph Watson Lake and the Granite Dells at sunset.
- Dinner and return to the hotel.
Day 3 – Sunday, January 29, 2023
- We’ll depart early for Watson Lake Park and shoot the Lake and the Dells from various locations.
- 10:30 – 12:30 we will meet in the Conference room for image critique and feedback.
- The workshop adjourns at 12:30 pm.
Physical Rating: Moderate
This workshop has moderate hiking/walking on maintained and non-maintained trails, including some minor boulder scrambling. The maximum hiking distance on the Peavine Trail is 3-miles roundtrip. The elevation is approximately 5,100′ for participants sensitive to altitude issues. This workshop takes place in winter, so cold weather and possible snow should be anticipated and planned for. Plan on predawn start times to capture sunrise images.
Lodging During the Workshop
3453 Ranch Drive
Prescott, AZ 86303
Phone: (928) 443-5500
Lodging for two nights is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy, beginning January 27th.
Double occupancy is permitted for companions traveling together. Please make note on your registration the name of your traveling companion so that we may match you up on the rooming list. A double-occupancy discount will be provided on your final invoice. Please arrive Friday by 1:00 PM for a presentation before we head out to photograph Watson Lake for our first sunset shoot. Should you wish to arrive the night before the workshop begins please call the hotel directly to make this reservation. The deadline to guarantee rate and availability is December 28, 2022. This night is on your own.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
CANCELATION POLICY: All cancelations must be in writing to email@example.com
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $250.
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less a $250 administrative fee. The remainder of the fees paid can be used toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.