Granite outcroppings and magenta skies complement the beautiful blue water of Watson Lake in winter; the perfect setting for a photo workshop! This weekend workshop offers photographers an opportunity to chase the winter light of sunrise and sunset along the shores of Watson Lake near Prescott Arizona. Whether you are interested in landscapes, wildlife, reflections, details or abstract images, Amy Horn will take you to several great locations along the lake and assist you in capturing light and developing strong compositions.
We will take advantage of the clear, brisk mornings and warm afternoons to fine tune our photographic techniques and capture images while observing the peaceful vistas. A weekend spent with Amy and other passionate photographers will help you hone your skills, develop your vision, and have a memorable fun time.
- Photographic instruction
- Water, snacks and one working lunch
- Post-workshop image critique
- Permits, park entrance & parking fees
- Two-nights lodging based on double occupancy
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Friday, January 31
- Group will meet at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Prescott at 2:00 pm for a presentation on photography tips and an introduction to Watson Lake.
- Participants will then be able to check into their rooms before grabbing their gear for our first sunset shoot.
- Dinner and return to the hotel.
Day 2 – Saturday, February 1
- We will depart early for sunrise at Watson Lake before returning to the hotel to download images.
- Amy will conduct a short photography lesson prior to our lunch.
- We will spend the afternoon and evening walking the historical Peavine Trail to photograph Watson Lake and the Granite Dells at sunset.
Day 3 – Sunday, February 2
- After enjoying breakfast at the hotel, we’ll depart for Watson Lake Park by 6:00 am and shoot the Lake and the Dells from various locations.
- We’ll have a working lunch to allow you time to process images from the workshop prior to attending the image critique session in the afternoon.
- The workshop adjourns at 4:00 pm.
Activity Level: Moderate
Short hikes on flat, graded, maintained trails and some rock scrambling on unmaintained trails. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots recommended. Greatest distance is 3 miles roundtrip but participants may go as far as they are comfortable. The weather in the early morning in January and February can be quite cold, so appropriate winter apparel with hand and foot warmers are recommended.
Lodging During the Workshop
Residence Inn by Marriott (Jan 31-Feb 1)
3599 Lee Circle
Prescott, Arizona, 86301
Phone: (928) 775-2232
Two night’s lodging is included in your workshop fee at the Residence Inn by Marriott. Please arrive Friday by 2 pm for a presentation before we head out to photograph Watson Lake for our first sunset shoot.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 60 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.