Granite outcroppings and magenta skies complement the beautiful blue water of Watson Lake in winter; the perfect setting for a photo workshop! This weekend workshop offers photographers an opportunity to chase the winter light of sunrise and sunset along the shores of Watson Lake near Prescott Arizona. Whether you are interested in landscapes, wildlife, reflections, details or abstract images, Amy Horn will take you to several great locations along the lake and assist you in capturing light and developing strong compositions.
We will take advantage of the clear, brisk mornings and warm afternoons to fine-tune our photographic techniques and capture images while observing the peaceful vistas. With so much water, Watson Lake is a perfect location to master the use of Neutral Density filters. We recommend any ND filters from 3-15 stops. A weekend spent with Amy and other passionate photographers will help you hone your skills, develop your vision, and have a memorable fun time.
- In-field Instruction
- Classroom orientation and image critiques
- Two nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Permits, Park entrance fees, and parking
- Snacks and water
- Post-workshop critique
This is a self-drive workshop. Transportation is not included in your workshop fee.
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Friday, January 28, 2022
- Group will meet at the Hampton Inn by Hilton Conference Room at 1 pm in Prescott
- After a photographer presentation, we will check into rooms and then head out to our first sunset shoot at Watson Lake.
- Dinner and return to the hotel.
Day 2 – Saturday, January 29, 2022
- We will depart early to capture the sunrise at Watson Lake.
- Mid-morning we will meet in the conference room for a short presentation on Lightroom post-processing and time to download/process images.
- We will spend the afternoon and evening walking the historical Peavine Trail to photograph Watson Lake and the Granite Dells at sunset.
- Dinner and return to the hotel.
Day 3 – Sunday, January 30, 2022
- We’ll depart early for Watson Lake Park and shoot the Lake and the Dells from various locations.
- 10:30 – 12:30 we will meet in the Conference room for image critique and feedback.
- The workshop adjourns at 12:30 pm.
Physical Rating: Moderate
This workshop has moderate hiking/walking on maintained and non-maintained trails, including some minor boulder scrambling. The elevation is approximately 5,300′ for participants sensitive to altitude issues. This workshop takes place in winter, so cold weather and possible snow should be anticipated and planned for. Plan on predawn start times to capture sunrise images.
Lodging During the Workshop
3453 Ranch Drive
Prescott, AZ 86303
Phone: (928) 443-5500
Lodging for two nights is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy, beginning January 28th.
Double occupancy is permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided. Please arrive Friday by 1:00 PM for a presentation before we head out to photograph Watson Lake for our first sunset shoot. Should you wish to arrive the night before the workshop begins please call the hotel directly to make this reservation. The deadline to guarantee rate and availability is December 27, 2021. This night is on your own.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.