Straddling the Nevada-Utah border are some intriguing landscapes of slick rock cliffs, canyons, arches, and pinnacles. Laurence Parent will lead you on a photo adventure through this incredible photogenic landscape from Valley of Fire to Snow Canyon State Park and Yant Flats in the Dixie National Forest. All three areas contain spectacular scenery of slick rock cliffs, canyons, arches, and pinnacles. Valley of Fire and Snow Canyon are relatively well known for their sandstone outcroppings and other-worldly landscapes. Yant Flat is a large area of swirling layered sandstone that has similarities to White Pocket and the Wave.
Our photo adventure will depart from Las Vegas for Valley of Fire. Here, we will capture the Arizona red sandstone geological formations that dot the arid landscape. Then we will check out of our lodging and travel to St. George where we will stay for the next three nights. From our hotel in St. George we will travel to Snow Canyon State Park as well as into the Dixie National Forest where we will photograph Yant Flats, a relatively unexplored area of swirling sandstone that will provide great leading lines and interesting textures in your photos.
Join Laurence for this unique adventure through the Southwest’s unique geological landscapes.
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Las Vegas, NV
- Four nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Water, snacks and a group dinner
- Post workshop critiques
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Saturday, October 26
- Arrive in Las Vegas by 1pm, eat a quick lunch, and depart for Valley of Fire early afternoon and arrive in time for set up for evening photos.
- Check into the North Shore Inn.
Day 2 – Sunday, October 27
- Photograph Valley of Fire again at sunrise and then at first light.
- Return to motel and check out.
- Drive to St. George and check into the Hampton Inn and eat lunch.
- After lunch we will drive to Yant Flat for our late afternoon photo shoot. We will photograph the swirling, layered sandstone in last light. Bring headlamps for the hike out.
- Eat dinner in St. George.
Day 3 – Monday, October 28
- Arise early and photograph Snow Canyon for sunrise.
- Return to St. George for lunch.
- Shoot rock and possible petroglyphs from late afternoon through last available light.
- Dinner in St. George.
Day 4 – Tuesday, October 29
- Arise very early and drive then hike to Yant Flat for sunrise.
- Eat lunch in St. George.
- Drive to Snow Canyon for evening photos.
- Dinner in St. George.
Day 5 – Wednesday, October 30
- Photograph first light one more time at Yant Flat.
- Finish in time to get back to the motel to check out by 11am.
- Leave for Las Vegas and home.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate to Slightly Difficult
This workshop will involve hiking on non-maintained trails and moderate rock scrambling. Participants should be comfortable hiking up to 3 miles roundtrip with their gear.
The workshop departs and returns to:
LaQuinta Inn & Suites Airport South
6560 Surrey Street
Las Vegas, NV 89119
The workshop will convene at the LaQuinta Inn & Suites Airport South where we will depart on October 26th. For pre- and post-workshop lodging, please contact the hotel directly to reserve your room. This lodging is not included in your workshop fee.
Lodging during the workshop:
North Shore Inn
520 North Moapa Valley Blvd.
Overton, NV. 89040
Our first night’s lodging will be based close to Valley of Fire. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Should you wish a single room you must request a single supplement at time of registration.
Hampton Inn St. George
53 North River Road
St. George, UT 84790
The remaining three nights will be based in St. George at the Hampton Inn. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Should you wish a single room you must request a single supplement at time of registration.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.