Horse racing is one of the ancient sports that still remains active today. Arizona’s own horse racing culture also has a deep history with the sixty-plus year history of Turf Paradise in Phoenix. Considered the 3rd largest sporting venue in the state, Turf Paradise is home during racing season to over 2,000 horses. Arizona Highways PhotoScapes has been granted a special all-access pass to bring a photography workshop to the track and provide us with escort access to all aspects of Turf Paradise’s horse racing.
Equine lover and photographer, Sue Wright, will lead this one day workshop and help participants learn the best techniques for shooting subjects in motion, creating great compositions and dealing with harsh lighting conditions. With our escort, we will have an opportunity to photograph races from the railing as well as an elevated area, walk through the stalls and training areas, grooming and bathing areas, public spaces and the overall track atmosphere.
- Track admission
Saturday, March 21, 2020
- Participants will meet at the front gate at 6:00 am prompt. Late arrivals will miss the entrance escort that is required.
- We will begin the workshop with safety information on horse and jockey interaction as well as accessibility locations.
- Instructor Sue Wright will then discuss issues and challenges of this type of photography
- First thing in the morning we will set-up a group along the rail at the finish line and on a platform in the stands. The groups will rotate locations between races so everyone has a chance to photograph from both locations.
- After the first series of races, the track closes and we will go to barn and photograph activity at the stables
- Once the morning races resume we will return to rail steps
- Mid-morning we will take a break and debrief the successes and challenges and share images.
- We will take an hour’s lunch break at 11:00 am. Lunch is on your own. Food and concession stands are available throughout the track.
- After lunch, we will take photos in public areas and then move to the paddock area to photograph riders as they prepare for a race. Then, assemble 6 at the start of longer races and at the finish line and rail. Then 6 on the balcony and then switch.
- We will wrap up the day and share images before adjourning.
Activity Level – Easy
This workshop is held at a public venue with easy access to shade, seating, and facilities.
Workshop will be held:
1501 W. Bell Road
Phoenix, AZ 85023
The group will enter the Track grounds from 15th avenue for parking at the west end of the building.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.