Welcome to the Women’s Photo Retreat in Tucson, Arizona. Since 2011 AHPS Women’s Photography Retreat workshops have encouraged women photographers, both young and mature, novice and expert, to come together in a learning and fun environment.
On this three-day Tucson workshop you will capture images at local zoos, gardens, missions and of course, beautiful southwestern sunsets. The mild temperatures in March make this a perfect time of year to capture all Tucson has to offer.
An expert in photography education, Amy will challenge you at a variety of photogenic spots in this area. From captive wildlife to saguaro sunsets, we will photograph the Sonoran desert both urban and rural. We will experience the solitude during sunrise at San Xavier Mission and capture the macro details of the Tucson Botanical Garden. This workshop has it all. Spend a weekend with this all women group as we follow the light and find our own unique approaches to capture a photograph.
- Photographic instruction
- Lodging based on Double Occupancy
- Water, snacks and a farewell dinner
- All applicable entrance, park, permit and tour fees
* Transportation is not provided during this workshop. Participants will be encouraged to car pool to shooting locations.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change dependent on weather and lighting conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Friday, March 15
- 8:30am meet and greet at Reid Park Zoo (opens at 9am, located at 3400 E Zoo Ct, Tucson, AZ 85716) to photograph elephants, tigers, otters and other captive wildlife.
- Lunch at the zoo.(on your own)
- After the zoo, we will walk around Tucson barrios, photographing bright colors and cultural murals.
- Check into our hotel and then carpool to an early dinner.
- For sunset, we will capture the warm light of Gates Pass
- On our way back to the hotel, we will photograph Tucson’s historic neon lights.
Day 2 – Saturday, March 16
- Early morning departure to catch first light as it falls upon San Xavier Mission.
- Leaving the mission, we will practice macro and close-up photography of flowers and succulents at the Tucson Botanical Garden.
- Brunch at the gardens (on your own)
- At 2pm we will return to the hotel for a short time to download before heading out for late afternoon light and sunset at Saguaro National Monument.
- Farewell Dinner
Day 3- Sunday, March 17
- Early rise to watch the sunrise from Mt Lemmon. At 9,000+ feet this magnificent view overlooks the city. We will return to the hotel for breakfast, download, and checkout.
- 11:30am to 2:00pm — Image share allows participants feedback on their images and an opportunity to ask questions about exposure, processing and composition.
- 2:00pm workshop adjourns
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Walking mostly on paved sidewalks and streets and graded pullout areas.
Lodging During the Workshop
Best Western Royal Sun
1015 N. Stone Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85705
Two nights lodging are included in your workshop fee. Single room supplements are available for an additional fee.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.