Enjoy a weekend getaway to photograph the night skies around Tucson’s Sonoran desert, the colorful historic barrio district and the historic splendor of San Xavier del Bac. Photographer Beth Ruggiero-York will guide you on the best compositions and image creation techniques on night-sky and architectural photography.
After an initial orientation and classroom instruction, we will travel to the historic San Xavier del Bac mission where we will have ample time to photograph the grounds and interior spaces during the late afternoon. After taking a break for a picnic dinner, we will set up our cameras for capturing images of the mission under the night sky.
Our second day will begin with a leisurely photo walkabout in Tucson’s barrio district to practice techniques for capturing the colorful architecture and intimate spaces. Then we will spend time downloading and working on images before convening for an image critique.
We will depart for a sunset shoot before returning for an early dinner and rest. We will then depart for Saguaro National Park around midnight to set up and capture the Milky Way and the night sky. The Milky Way’s visibility in April is best seen in the early morning hours, thus our group will spend a good portion of the night out in the field returning shortly before dawn.
After we have an opportunity to get a bit of sleep, we will convene in a classroom to discuss post-processing your Milky Way images and do one final critique.
- Round trip transportation from Tucson
- Two nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Permits and park fees
- Water, snacks and a picnic meal in the field
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Friday, October 9, 2020
- Kick off workshop at 1:00pm with a presentation and workshop orientation.
- Mid-afternoon depart for San Xavier del Bac for landscape, interiors, sunset
- Picnic dinner in field
- Night skies at San Xavier del Bac
- Return to hotel
Saturday, October 10, 2020
- Our morning will start with a photo walk in Tucson’s Barrio district
- Returning to the hotel mid-morning we will have some downtime to download and process images
- After our lunch break we will hold an image critique
- Late afternoon we will depart for Gates Pass/Tucson Mountain Park for sunset
- Return for dinner and rest
- Depart late evening to shoot the Milky Way in West Saguaro National Park
- Return to hotel 4:00 am
Sunday, October 11, 2020
- Mid-morning we will have a final classroom session on post-processing techniques
- Workshop adjourns at 1:00 pm.
Physical Rating: Moderate
This workshop includes walking on both maintained and unmaintained areas with a good portion taking place at night. Participants should be comfortable navigating landscapes at night and be able to stay out throughout the night, with moderate rest.
The workshop will be based from:
Courtyard by Marriott Tucson Airport
2505 E Executive Drive
Tucson, AZ 85756
Tel: (520) 573-0000
Two nights lodging is included in your workshop fee. For pre- or post-workshop lodging, please contact the hotel directly to secure those room nights. Lodging is based on double occupancy. You may opt for a single supplement at an additional fee should you wish a private room.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.