Straddling the Nevada-Utah border are some intriguing landscapes of slick rock cliffs, canyons, arches, and pinnacles. Laurence Parent will lead you on a photo adventure through this incredibly photogenic landscape. We will have plenty of photo opportunities to capture red sandstone formations in Valley of Fire, textures, and colors in the striated Navajo Sandstone in Snow Canyon State Park, swirling layered rock in Yant Flat, slot canyon narrows in Kanarra Canyon and spectacular vistas at the Kolob Canyon viewpoints. Each offers a different taste of spectacular scenery.
Our photo adventure will depart from Las Vegas where we will spend two days photographing Valley of Fire in early and late light that will enrich the red hues in the intriguing rock formations. Then we will move on to St. George where we will photograph waterfalls, canyons, and eroded sandstone features.
Our first outing from St. George will take us to the swirling sandstone of Yant Flat, where the textured wavy bands of orange, red, yellow, pink, and white rock forms make for a very photogenic landscape in the late afternoon light.
Another day will be spent trekking through Kanarra Creek Canyon wading through a stream bed into a narrow slot to capture scenic images of canyon walls and waterfalls. Afterward, we will make our way to Kolob Canyon where we will create compelling compositions in the late afternoon light of box canyons formed by 2,000′ sandstone walls.
We will wind up our Nevada/Utah excursion, with a stop at Snow Canyon State Park where lava flows and soaring sandstone cliffs offer strikingly colorful views as the interplay of light, shadow, and color dance across the canyon walls.
Join Laurence for this unique adventure through these unique Southwest geological landscapes.
- Photographic instruction
- Four nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Round trip transportation from Las Vegas, NV
- Water, snacks, and a group dinner
- Post-workshop critiques
*Double occupancy permitted for companions traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Tuesday, April 25, 2023
- Arrive in Las Vegas by 1:00 pm, eat a quick lunch, depart for Valley of Fire early afternoon and arrive in time for set up for evening photos.
- Check into the North Shore Inn.
Day 2 – Wednesday, April 26, 2023
- Photograph Valley of Fire again at sunrise and then at first light.
- Return to the motel for rest and download of images and image critique
- After a break for lunch, we will return to Valley of Fire for our late afternoon through sunset photoshoots.
- Back to Overton for dinner and bed.
Day 3 – Thursday, April 27, 2023
- We will start our day with a leisurely morning before we check out of our lodging and drive to St. George.
- After we check in to our hotel and unload our luggage, we will head out to Yant Flat to catch the late afternoon light through sunset.
- We will return to St. George for dinner and turn in for the night.
Day 4 – Friday, April 28, 2023
- Today we will pack our lunch and be out in the field all day, with our first stop hiking into Kanarra Creek Canyon. (water shoes, neoprene socks/booties, and hiking poles are recommended) Participants can hike in as far as they like. The hike to the falls is approx 3.5 miles roundtrip.
- After returning to the vehicles, the group will take a rest and then drive to Kolob Canyon viewpoints to capture late afternoon and sunset photos from the western flank of Zion National Park.
- Return to St. George for dinner and bed.
Day 5 – Saturday, April 29, 2023
- Our last morning will find us at Snow Canyon for sunrise and early light.
- Return to the hotel for breakfast, download, and checkout.
- Laurence will hold one last critique before we begin our trek back to Las Vegas/
- Workshop adjourns mid-afternoon.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate to Slightly Difficult
This workshop will involve hiking on non-maintained trails and moderate rock scrambling. Participants should be comfortable hiking up to 3 miles roundtrip with their gear.
The workshop departs and returns to:
LaQuinta Inn & Suites Airport South
6560 Surrey Street
Las Vegas, NV 89119
The workshop will convene at the La Quinta Inn & Suites Airport South where we will depart on April 25th. For pre-and post-workshop lodging, please contact the hotel directly to reserve your room. A courtesy block is in place under the name, Arizona Highways and will be good through March 24th. This lodging is not included in your workshop fee.
Lodging during the workshop:
North Shore Inn
520 North Moapa Valley Blvd.
Overton, NV. 89040
Our first two nights will be based close to the Valley of Fire. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
53 N River Rd. St.
George, UT, 84790
Tel: (435) 652-1200
The last two nights will be based in St. George at the Hampton Inn. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing at email@example.com. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less the non-refundable $100 processing fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.