We will explore the forest of rhyolite rock formations at Chiricahua National Monument, including balanced rocks, towering pinnacles, hidden grottos, and slot canyons. A forest of oaks, pines, and cypresses grow among the rocks, adding color to the lichen-spotted formations.
Next, we’ll photograph the oak-dotted granite boulders and cliffs of the Dragoon Mountains at Cochise Stronghold and the mountains’ west side.
Finally, we’ll end up in historic Tombstone, home of the famous OK Corral, for photos of the beautiful old courthouse, street scenes, and rustic Western details. Monsoon season will be happening, offering a good chance of photographing dramatic storms and skies, but also possibly causing changes in the itinerary.
- Photographic instruction
- Three nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Permits and entrance fees
- Water and snacks
- Post-workshop critiques
This is a self-drive workshop. Transportation is not included in your workshop fee.
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on weather and lighting conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Sunday, August 22, 2021
- Participants will arrive in Willcox at our designated hotel by 12:00 pm.
- After a break for lunch, the group will drive to Chiricahua National Monument.
- Throughout the afternoon until sunset, the group will hike part of the Echo Canyon Trail photographing boulders, hoodoos, and a variety of geological wonders.
- Return to hotel and dinner.
Day 2 – Monday, August 23, 2021
- The group will get an early start to arrive at the Monument to photograph sunrise from Massai Point and surroundings.
- Late morning we will return to Willcox for lunch and a break to download images.
- Mid-afternoon we will be back at the Monument for more shooting along the Echo Canyon Trail until sunset.
Day 3 –Tuesday, August 24, 2021
- Another early rise for our drive to the Dragoon Mountains for sunrise in the Cochise Stronghold area.
- Return to Willcox and check out of our lodging.
- We will hold an image critique followed by lunch.
- Drive to Tombstone and check into our next hotel.
- Mid-afternoon through the evening the group will photograph in the Slavin Gulch area.
- Return to Tombstone for dinner.
Day 4 – Wednesday, August 25, 2021
- Our last morning will consist of a sunrise shoot in Tombstone at the historic courthouse and surrounding streets.
- Late morning we will check out of our hotel and return to Phoenix or wherever your home may be.
Physical Rating: Moderate
This workshop entails light hiking on trails from a half-mile to two miles on uneven terrain and with elevation gains of 200-300′. Scheduled in late August, this workshop was timed to take advantage of monsoon season, therefore, participants should be prepared for warm temperatures and possible wet conditions.
Lodging During the Workshop
Our first two nights will be based in Wilcox. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
The Landmark Lookout Lodge
Tombstone, AZ 85638
As we work our way back to Phoenix, we will spend one night at the Landmark Lookout Lodge in Tombstone. Lodging is included in your workshop fee.
TRAVEL INSURANCE IS RECOMMENDED
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.