Spring in the Texas Hill Country is a great time to photograph rolling wooded hills, grasslands, and of course, vibrant wildflowers. Photographer Laurence Parent, who resided in Central Texas for more than 30 years, knows the area well. With dozens of Texas-published books to his name and as a regular contributor for Texas Highways, Texas Monthly, and Texas Parks & Wildlife magazines, Laurence knows the best places to go.
During this five-day workshop, we will concentrate on two central areas of the state. One will center around Fredericksburg in the Texas Hill Country where the most common flowers there are bluebonnets and white prickly poppies. The other will be in the Cuero and Gonzales southeast of Austin. This region is known for its multi-colored variety of flowers—bluebonnets, Indian paintbrush, phlox, and multiple species of yellow composites.
To add a bit of variety to the workshop Laurence will guide the group for a mid-day shoot at Palmetto State Park, a miniature swamp offering a bit of the tropics.
Don’t miss your chance to photograph blossoming fields of wildflowers and intriguing landscapes of the Central Texas Hill Country with one of the best.
- Photography instruction
- Four nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Round-trip transportation from Austin, Texas
- Snacks, water, and one dinner
- Workshop instruction and critiques
- All entrance and permit fees
*If you are traveling with a photography companion and would like to share lodging, please notify our office and a discount will be provided.
Day 1 – Tuesday, April 11, 2023
- Meet at the LaQuinta Inn Austin Airport by 11:00 am to depart for Fredericksburg.
- Along the way, we will stop for lunch
- Upon arrival, we will check into our hotel.
- We will head out in the Hill Country to photograph wildflowers along back roads until sunset.
- Return to Fredericksburg for dinner
Day 2 – Wednesday, April 12, 2023
- Our sunrise shoot will find us on the back roads in Llano, Mason, and Gillespie Counties.
- After a few hours in the field, we will return to the hotel in time for a short critique session of the participants’ photos.
- Then we will take a break for lunch and enjoy some downtime until mid-afternoon.
- From late afternoon through sunset we will photograph more wildflowers in the surrounding area.
- Return to Fredericksburg.
Day 3 – Thursday, April 13, 2023
- Our morning sunrise shoot will take us out on the back roads again for more wildflower photography.
- After a couple of hours, we will return to the hotel, pack, check out and drive to Gonzales.
- Mid-afternoon we will check into the hotel in Gonzales and drop off our luggage.
- After a short break, we will head out to photograph wildflowers on the back roads until sunset.
- Return to hotel
Day 4 – Friday, April 14, 2023
- We will begin our day photographing wildflowers from sunrise into mid-morning starting at the Cheapside Church if conditions are right.
- Return to Gonzales for a short break and lunch.
- Then we will head out again to visit Palmetto State Park and photograph the tropical-looking pools and palmettos of the Ottine Swamp, plus the historic 1930s stone structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps.
- Our late afternoon through sunset will find us back in wildflower fields at a ranch near Cuero.
- Dinner in Gonzales.
- Return to the hotel.
Day 5 – Saturday, April 15, 2023
- This will be our last morning to photograph wildflower fields from sunrise until mid-morning.
- We will return to the hotel by late morning, pack up, and check out by 11 a.m.
- Arrive at Austin airport by about 12:30 p.m.
Strenuousness: Easy to Moderate
Some mild hiking will occur in this workshop. Our visit to Palmetto State Park will involve flat, easy hiking of ½ to 1 mile. The remainder of our shooting locations will take place along roadsides and in fields near the van. This is generally very easy, but the ground will be uneven.
In addition to camera gear and tripods, you will need rain gear for both person and camera, insect repellent, knee pads, or other pads for wildflower close-ups, and an LED headlamp.
The workshop departs and returns to:
La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Austin Airport
7625 E Ben White Blvd
Austin, TX 78741
The workshop will depart from the La Quinta Inn and Suites Austin Airport on Friday, April 11th at 12:00pm. For pre-workshop lodging, please contact the hotel directly and reserve your room under our courtesy block. Reservations should be made no later than March 9, 2023. This lodging is not included in your workshop fee. The hotel offers a free airport shuttle service.
Lodging during the workshop:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
500 S Washington Street
Fredericksburg, TX 78624
The remaining two nights will be based in Fredericksburg. This lodging is also included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. Double occupancy is permitted for companions traveling together. A discount will be provided.
The Dilworth Inn
603 Saint Joseph Street
Gonzales, Texas 78629
Our last two nights will be spent in Gonzales at this historic, well-appointed boutique hotel. Should you be traveling with a companion and wish to share lodging, a deduction will be applied.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less the non-refundable $100 processing fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.