Picture this! Eight nights and nine days in the heart of the Swiss Alps. Based in the Bernese Oberland region, this workshop offers breathtaking views, magnificent mountains, unspoiled nature, and pristine lakes. The famous Eiger, one of the most emblematic sights at 13,000+ feet, towers above the lush green valleys of Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen where we will capture magnificent landscapes.
As we travel throughout the region we will fill our days with easy to moderate hikes to capture epic mountain vistas, waterfalls, and wildflowers. We will take the Swiss Rail to the lovely village of Kandersteg, and then ride a gondola up to Oeschinensee, one of the prettiest alpine lakes, and stay overnight in a very civilized mountain inn with semi-private rooms. We’ll hike a very scenic and moderate trail above the lake for grand views, and shoot stars if possible. Next, we’ll ride the rails to Zermatt, the very classy town in the shadow of the Matterhorn, and stay two nights in a 5* hotel at the base. Day hikes below the Matterhorn reveal classic vistas and we’ll look for stars, rainbows and have lots of time to have a final critique at the wonderful Riffelalp Hotel.
This workshop is filled with ample time to feed your photographic desires along with plenty of time to enjoy exploring, relaxing, dining on Swiss favorites and getting immersed in the local culture. Hiking distances are very moderate and always optional. The only required walk is the short hike from the gondola to the mountain hut in Oesrchinensee on a maintained pathway approximately a twenty-minute walk from the mountain gondola station.
- Photo instruction & guided hikes
- 8 nights lodging in 3-5* accommodations (double occupancy) Single supplements available for all locations except the mountain hut where double occupancy is only available.
- Transportation from Grindelwald returning to Zermatt.
- 2nd class Swiss rail pass, cable car, and cog-wheel train transfers
- Luggage transfers
- 8 breakfasts, 5 dinners
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop critique
Day 1– Thursday, July 1, 2021
- The workshop will begin in Grindelwald at midday, as people arrive by train from their airport. Grindelwald has easy train access from both the Zurich and Geneva airports.
- After a bit of time to settle in, our group will enjoy a few short afternoon walks around town to acclimate and stretch and take in the sights.
- Then we will gather for our welcome dinner and a short orientation before heading out to photograph views of the Eiger.
Day 2– Friday, July 2, 2021
- Our day begins with a wonderful breakfast before checking out of our hotel to head to Kleine Scheidegg.
- You will have the choice of hiking the Eiger Trail below the famous peak — a 3.8 mile, moderate to slightly difficult hike (depending on your conditioning) at the highest altitude of approximately 6700’. Alternatively, you can ride the Jungfrau Railway up to Kleine Scheidegg, in a col below the Eiger, where you will have outstanding views of the Eiger, Jungfrau and Monch.
- We will arrive at the mountain jewel, Hotel Bellevue des Alpes, our lodging for the night.
- After settling into our hotel rooms our group will take in the photographic sights of this famous mountain retreat.
Day 3 – Saturday, July 3, 2021
- We begin our day with an epic sunrise shoot of the panoramic vista from the Mannlichen Royal Trail.
- Following our breakfast, we will then ride the train and tram to Murren, the jewel of the Lauterbrunen Valley.
- After a brief break to check into our hotel in Murren, we will explore the area and possibly walk up toward the Lobhorn Hut for sunset, an epic spot.
- Return for dinner.
Day 4– Sunday, July 4, 2021
- Our day will begin with a sunrise of the great peaks from Murren.
- After breakfast, we venture to see some of the dozens of waterfalls in the Lauterbrunen Valley.
- We will enjoy lunch in Stechelberg before returning to Murren for the evening.
Day 5– Monday, July 5, 2021
- After breakfast, we check out of our hotel and ride the Swiss Rail to Kandersteg.
- We will pack a small overnight bag and store our luggage at our lodging accommodations we will have the following evening.
- Then we ride a gondola up the mountain and take a short 1-mile stroll to Oesrchinensee to our mountain hut where a gorgeous glacial lake fills a wide cirque below the high peaks.
- We will have incredible photo opportunities from this mountain hideaway with panorama sunsets and possible stars reflected in the lake after our dinner.
Day 6– Tuesday, July 6, 2021
- Up early to catch another magnificent sunrise before breakfast followed by a hike of our choice.
- Then we will make the return trip on the gondola to Kandersteg.
- We will check into our hotel and get reunited with our luggage. You will have an opportunity for some down-time and to download images for an afternoon critique.
- Sunset will provide wonderful photo scenes as this area provides a great angle of the peaks, as the summer clouds roll by.
- Dinner and optional star shooting.
Day 7–Wednesday, July 7, 2021
- After our sunrise shoot, we will ride the rails again, to our final destination in Zermatt.
- Before heading up the hill to our five-star hotel we will spend time exploring the town before taking the cog railway up to the 5* Riffelalp Hotel, below the great Matterhorn.
- We will enjoy a bit of downtime to get settled before dinner then you will have the option to take in a late hike or just enjoy the surroundings and photograph the clouds and light on the peaks rising beside us.
Day 8–Thursday, July 8, 2021
- Our last full day will begin with a photoshoot of sunrise light on the Matterhorn.
- This last day will be optional for short or longer hikes to alpine lakes.
- Kerrick will conduct a final image critique session in the late afternoon.
- Our group will enjoy a wonderful final dinner at the Riffelalp overlooking the Matterhorn.
Day 9–Friday, July 9, 2021
- The workshop ends after our morning breakfast.
- We will ride the Swiss Rail back to whence we came.
Activity Rating: Easy to Moderate
Most hikes on this workshop are shorter than five miles in altitudes varying from 5,000′-8,000′. The typical summer mountain weather can range from moderate to rainy. Layers and rain gear are recommended along with good hiking boots.
Lodging During the Workshop:
All lodging on this workshop is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Single supplements are available for an additional fee excluding the mountain hut in Oeschinensee.
July 1, 2021
Hotel Kreuz & Post
July 2, 2021
Bellevue des Alpes
July 3-4, 2021
July 5, 2021
Berghaus am Oeschinensee
July 6, 2021
Belle Epoque Hotel Victoria
July 7-8, 2021
Riffelalp Resort 2222m
- 121 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $250
- 120 days full payment is due
- Cancellation between 91-119 days will receive a 50% refund of the workshop fee.
- * 90 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 120 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.