Legendary for its enchanted light, New Mexico in winter is truly magical and there is no better place to photograph in the Southern part of the state than at Bosque del Apache in Socorro, and White Sands National Park in Alamogordo.
Departing from Albuquerque, our first stop is the migratory ponds at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge, one of the best places to photograph tens of thousands of majestic sandhill cranes, roosting, feeding, and in-flight, and snow geese roosting in the ponds or taking flight in mass accession to search for food. This grand display of winged activity can only be surpassed by the cacophony of sound present from this throng of birds. Here, Michael will guide you on how to photograph birds in flight, using both slow and fast shutter speeds for different effects, panning to capture the essence of flight, and using the morning mist and light to create dramatic images. The shallow ponds of the refuge make for great reflections of frequent colorful sunrises and sunsets. After two sunrise and sunset photo opportunities under our belts, we will then depart for our next destination further south.
A few hours south of Socorro is White Sands National Park where undulating gypsum sand dunes stretch to the horizon. Windswept dunes give way to intriguing compositions through the use of texture and lines. Crisp winter days often bring beautiful hues of blue and pink as the sun rises and sets across your field of vision. Michael will provide one on one assistance in the field to help you create mesmerizing images. When not in the field, Michael will conduct image critiques and assist participants with creative image-making.
Join resident travel and adventure photographer Michael DeYoung on this six-day photo journey throughout southern New Mexico to capture this enchanted land in winter.
- Five nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Round-trip transportation from Albuquerque
- Photography instruction and image critique
- Entrance fees and permits
- Water, snacks, and one group meal
- Post-workshop critique
* Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change depending on weather and lighting conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Sunday, January 8, 2023
- Participants meet in the conference room mid-morning at the Hampton Inn & Suites for an orientation and presentation with Michael DeYoung.
- Pack luggage and gear and travel to Socorro for lunch and to check into our hotel.
- Mid-afternoon through sunset will be spent at the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge capturing snow geese and Sandhill cranes.
Day 2 & 3– Monday/Tuesday, January 9 & 10, 2023
- From Sunrise through mid-morning we will continue capturing roosting birds and birds in flight at the Refuge.
- Returning to the hotel for lunch and a mid-day break.
- Early afternoon Michael will host the first critique session.
- Then we will return to the refuge for late afternoon and sunset photo opportunities.
Day 4 – Wednesday, January 11, 2023
- After our last sunrise and morning shoot at the refuge we will return to the hotel for check out.
- En route to our next destination, we will stop at San Antonio for lunch at the famous Owl Café before continuing our drive to White Sands National Park.
- We will go out to the monument for sunset and then return to Alamogordo to check into the Holiday Inn Express & Suites.
Day 5 – Thursday, January 12, 2023
- We will have our sunrise and morning shoot in White Sands National Park before returning to our hotel for a mid-day break.
- Lunch and downtime for downloading images.
- We will return to White Sands for sunset.
Day 6 – Friday, January 13, 2023
- We will enjoy one last sunrise in White Sands before returning to the hotel to checkout.
- Depart for Albuquerque.
- Lunch en route.
- Workshop Adjourns mid to late afternoon.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate to Slightly Difficult (mostly weather-related)
Light hiking in White Sands National Park. Hiking is not necessary and participants can travel as far as they want during the prescribed time on location.
Weather: Almost always below freezing at night with lows near 10F. Extremes can range from below freezing in the mornings to the low 60’s in the afternoon.
Lodging During the Workshop:
Hampton Inn & Suites Albuquerque Airport
1300 Woodward Road SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106
Phone: (505) 246-3574
The workshop begins and ends at the Hampton Inn & Suites located adjacent to the Albuquerque Airport. The lodging at this location is not included in your workshop fee. To secure pre- or post-workshop lodging on January 7th and/or January 13, please contact the hotel directly. A courtesy block of rooms is available and must be reserved no later than December 5, 2022, to guarantee availability. Be sure to mention you are traveling with Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.
Our first three nights we will be based in Socorro, New Mexico close to Bosque del Apache. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. Double occupancy is permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alamogordo
100 Kerry Ave
Phone: (575) 434-9773
While at White Sands National Park we will spend two nights in Alamogordo at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. This lodging is also included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. Double occupancy is permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing at email@example.com. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less the non-refundable $200 processing fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $200 non-refundable fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.