New Mexico is legendary for its enchanted light and the low sun angle of winter combined with the possibility of snow can offer truly magical moments in all three of our workshop locations. Bosque del Apache, in a normal year, is one of the best places to photograph majestic sandhill cranes, roosting, feeding and in flight. The shallow ponds of the refuge make for great reflections of frequent colorful sunrises and sunsets. White Sands needs no introduction. In winter, the crowds are thin, the air is clear and cold and the alpenglow is at it’s best.
Departing from Albuquerque, our first stop is the migratory ponds at Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge. Tens of thousands of Sandhill cranes and snow geese can be found roosting in the ponds or taking flight in mass accession to search for food. This grand display of winged activity can only be surpassed by the cacophony of sound present from this throng of birds. Here, Michael will guide you on how to photograph birds in flight, using both slow and fast shutter speeds for different effects, panning to capture the essence of flight, and using the morning mist and light to create dramatic images. After two sunrise and sunset photo opportunities under our belts, we will then depart for our next destination further south.
A few hours south of Socorro is White Sands National Park where undulating gypsum sand dunes stretch to the horizon. Windswept dunes give way to intriguing compositions through the use of texture and lines. Crisp winter days often bring beautiful hues of blue and pink as the sun rises and sets across your field of vision. Michael will provide one on one assistance in the field to help you create mesmerizing images. When not in the field, Michael will conduct image critiques and assist participants with creative image-making.
If the conditions are right, as a special photo bonus, we will travel to capture spectacular views of the snow-dusted Organ Mountain range. These steep, angular rocky spires jut majestically above the Chihuahuan Desert floor reaching elevations of 9,000 feet. When the mountains are blanked in snow, these jagged peaks are perfectly picturesque and the ideal photo opportunity.
Join resident travel and adventure photographer Michael DeYoung on this six-day photo journey throughout southern New Mexico to capture this enchanted land in winter.
- Five nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Round-trip transportation from Albuquerque**
- Photography instruction and image critique
- Entrance fees and permits
- Water, snacks and one group meal
- Post-workshop critique
* Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
**Group transportation is included in the workshop fee with a maximum of 5 passengers per vehicle. Should COVID pandemic concerns continue to warrant self-driving, your workshop fee will be adjusted accordingly.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change depending on weather and lighting conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Sunday, January 17, 2021
- Participants meet in the conference room mid-morning at the Best Western Airport Albuquerque Inn Suites Hotel and Suites for an orientation and presentation with Michael DeYoung.
- Pack luggage and gear and travel to Socorro for lunch and to check into our hotel.
- Mid-afternoon through sunset will be spent at the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge capturing snow geese and Sandhill cranes.
Day 2 & 3– Monday/Tuesday, January 18 & 19, 2021
- Sunrise through mid-morning we will continue capturing roosting birds and birds in flight at the Refuge.
- Returning to the hotel for lunch and a mid-day break.
- Early afternoon Michael will host the first critique session.
- Then we will return to the refuge for late afternoon and sunset photo opportunities.
Day 4 – Wednesday, January 20, 2021
- After our last sunrise and morning shoot at the refuge we will return to the hotel for check out.
- En route to our next destination, we will stop at San Antonio for lunch at the famous Owl Café before continuing our drive to White Sands National Park.
- We will go out to the monument for sunset and then return to Alamogordo to check into the Holiday Inn Express & Suites.
Day 5 – Thursday, January 21, 2021
- We will have our sunrise and morning shoot in White Sands National Park before returning to our hotel for a mid-day break.
- Lunch and downtime for downloading images.
- We will return to White Sands for sunset.
Day 6 – Friday, January 22, 2021
- Pending snow on the Organ Mountains, we will either travel to Las Cruces to photograph winter mountainscapes or return to White Sands for one final sunrise.
- After our morning shoot we depart for Albuquerque.
- Lunch en route.
- Workshop Adjourns mid to late afternoon.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate to Slightly Difficult (mostly weather-related)
Light hiking in White Sands National Park and at Aguirre Springs. Hiking is not necessary and participants can travel as far as they want during the prescribed time on location.
Weather: Almost always below freezing at night with lows near 10F. Extremes can range from below freezing in the mornings to the low 60’s in the afternoon.
Lodging During the Workshop:
Best Western Airport Albuquerque Inn Suites Hotel and Suites
2400 Yale Blvd SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106
Phone: (505) 242-7022
The workshop begins and ends at the Best Western Albuquerque Airport Inn & Suites. The lodging at this location is not included in your workshop fee. To secure pre- or post-workshop lodging on January 16 and/or January 22, please contact the hotel directly. A courtesy block of rooms are available and must be reserved no later than December 17, 2020, to guarantee availability. Be sure to mention you are traveling with Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.
Our first three nights we will be based in Socorro, New Mexico close to Bosque del Apache. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alamogordo
100 Kerry Ave
Phone: (575) 434-9773
While at White Sands National Park we will spend two nights in Alamogordo at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. This lodging is also included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.