Sculptured walls of sandstone carved over thousands of years remain one of Northern Arizona’s most sought-after photographic attractions — slot canyons. Vivid tones of red, purple, amber and bronze create a kaleidoscope of color in the stone that was once a sandy seabed of an ancient ocean. Local photographer, LeRoy DeJolie knows the perfect times to capture these stone passages and subterranean chambers. You’ll learn the exposure secrets and how to utilize the light to create striking images of these exciting and unique rock formations.
The rocky plateau surrounding Lake Powell is the setting for this five-day workshop where we will photograph other intriguing landscapes such as the stunning 270-degree panoramic view from Horseshoe Bend Overlook and sunrise from Little Cut, with its long vistas and stone teepees. As we wander the northern reaches of the Colorado Plateau, we will find a wealth of other photographic opportunities, including the stunning Vermilion Cliffs, Waterholes Canyon, and the Paria Bluffs, where we’ll capture images of the towering “hoodoos.”
LeRoy will guide you to these spectacular sights and share his knowledge on the use of light and shadows to create dramatic images. Join us for a journey to this one-of-a-kind Arizona destination. Our students send us more top-rated photos from this workshop than any other, a testimony to our instructors and the inspiration of the canyons.
- Photographic education
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix
- Four nights lodging single occupancy**
- Entrance fees, tours, and park permits
- Water, snacks and a group dinner
- Post-workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Wednesday, September 14, 2022
- Meet 7:30 am at the Holiday Inn & Suites Airport in Phoenix to load gear and depart for Page by 8:00 am.
- Enroute we’ll stop for a lunch break at Cameron Trading Post before continuing on to Page.
- After settling into our hotel rooms, we’ll meet briefly for a workshop orientation.
- Take in our first sunset shoot over Lake Powell from Potato Hill.
- Return to the hotel and break for dinner.
Day 2 – Thursday, September 15, 2022
- Our day will begin well before sunrise with a short ride to Little Cut to capture a beautiful panoramic view of the Vermillion Cliffs.
- After sunrise, we’ll return back for breakfast and then depart for Secret Canyon for a two-hour session in photographing the beautiful slot canyon.
- Return back to our Hotel only to set out for our evening shoot at Toad Stool near Paria Wash. (A unique series of pedestals)
- Return back to Page.
Day 3 – Friday, September 16, 2022
- A trek out to Horse Shoe Bend will begin our first shoot of the day. (A panorama view of the Colorado River-from 700 feet above the canyon walls)
- Return back to Page for breakfast, download images and a late morning critique session.
- Break for lunch
- Mid-afternoon we’ll head out to photograph more geological wonders and end our day with sunset at Stud Horse Point. (A series of pedestals overlooking Green Valley)
- Return to Page.
Day 4 – September 17, 2022
- Our day will start with a sunrise shoot over Lake Powell before returning to the hotel for breakfast.
- Mid-morning we will drive to Canyon X for more magical photo opportunities of intriguing slot canyons.
- Return to the hotel for lunch and our second critique.
- Our last evening shoot we’ll find ourselves at the Finns. (A cross-bed view of unique swirling Navajo sandstone)
- Upon returning to the hotel, we’ll gather to enjoy a farewell dinner and share stories of our photographic journey.
Day 5 – September 18, 2022
- With our bags pack – we’ll meet early for breakfast. Load up by 8:30 and spend the last of our time together in Page photographing from the Lake Powell overlook.
- Late morning we’ll begin our trek back to Phoenix taking a lunch break at Cameron Trading Post.
- Arrive back to Phoenix by 6pm.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Short hike on flat, graded, maintained trail for up to 3 miles round-trip. Some scrambling on rocks. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots recommended.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
We will spend four nights at the Lake Powell Courtyard by Marriott in Page. All lodging is based on double occupancy. Single room supplements are available for an additional fee.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.