Sculptured walls of sandstone carved over thousands of years remain one of Northern Arizona’s most sought-after photographic attractions — slot canyons. Vivid tones of red, purple, amber and bronze create a kaleidoscope of color in the stone that was once a sandy seabed of an ancient ocean. Local photographer, LeRoy DeJolie knows the perfect times to capture these stone passages and subterranean chambers. You’ll learn the exposure secrets and how to utilize the light to create striking images of these exciting and unique rock formations.
The rocky plateau surrounding Lake Powell is the setting for this five-day workshop where we will photograph other intriguing landscapes such as the stunning 270-degree panoramic view from Horseshoe Bend Overlook and sunrise from Little Cut, with its long vistas and stone teepees. As we wander the northern reaches of the Colorado Plateau, we will find a wealth of other photographic opportunities, including the stunning Vermilion Cliffs, Waterholes Canyon, and the Paria Bluffs, where we’ll capture images of the towering “hoodoos.”
LeRoy will guide you to these spectacular sights and share his knowledge on the use of light and shadows to create dramatic images. Join us for a journey to this one-of-a-kind Arizona destination. Our students send us more top-rated photos from this workshop than any other, a testimony to our instructors and the inspiration of the canyons.
- Photographic education
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix
- Four nights lodging single occupancy*
- Entrance fees, tours, and park permits
- Water, snacks, and a group dinner
- Post-workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Sunday, September 24, 2023
- Meet 7:30 am at the Holiday Inn & Suites Airport in Phoenix to load gear and depart for Page by 8:00 am.
- En route, we’ll stop for a lunch break at Cameron Trading Post before continuing on to Page.
- After settling into our hotel rooms, we’ll meet briefly for a workshop orientation.
- Take in our first sunset shoot over Lake Powell from Potato Hill.
- Return to the hotel and break for dinner.
Day 2 – Monday, September 25, 2023
- Our day will begin well before sunrise with a short ride to Little Cut to capture a beautiful panoramic view of the Vermillion Cliffs.
- After sunrise, we’ll return back for breakfast and then depart for Secret Canyon for a two-hour session photographing the beautiful slot canyon.
- Return back to our Hotel only to set out for our evening shoot at Toad Stool near Paria Wash. (A unique series of pedestals)
- Return back to Page.
Day 3 – Tuesday, September 26, 2023
- A trek out to Horse Shoe Bend will begin our first shoot of the day. (A panorama view of the Colorado River-from 700 feet above the canyon walls)
- Return back to Page for breakfast, download images, and a late morning critique session.
- Break for lunch
- Mid-afternoon we’ll head out to photograph more geological wonders and end our day with sunset at Stud Horse Point. (A series of pedestals overlooking Green Valley)
- Return to Page.
Day 4 – Wednesday, September 27, 2023
- Our day will start with a sunrise shoot over Lake Powell before returning to the hotel for breakfast.
- Mid-morning we will drive to Canyon X for more magical photo opportunities of intriguing slot canyons.
- Return to the hotel for lunch and our second critique.
- Our last evening shoot we’ll find ourselves at the Finns. (A cross-bed view of unique swirling Navajo sandstone)
- Upon returning to the hotel, we’ll gather to enjoy a farewell dinner and share stories of our photographic journey.
Day 5 – Thursday, September 28, 2023
- With our bags packed – we’ll meet early for breakfast. Load up by 8:30 and spend the last of our time together in Page photographing from the Lake Powell overlook.
- Late morning we’ll begin our trek back to Phoenix taking a lunch break at Cameron Trading Post.
- Arrive back in Phoenix by 6 pm.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Short hikes on flat, graded, maintained trails for up to 3 miles round-trip. Some scrambling on rocks. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots are recommended.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
We will spend four nights at the Lake Powell Courtyard by Marriott in Page. All lodging is based on single occupancy. For companions traveling together, a discount will be provided for double occupancy. Please contact our office to advise.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
CANCELATION POLICY: All cancelations must be in writing to email@example.com
- If you cancel your reservation 181 days or more from departure, your deposit will be refunded less a $100 cancelation fee.
- If you must cancel your reservation between 120 days and 180 days prior to your trip, you will be refunded any amount you have paid less a $500 cancelation fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 90-119 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher less the cancelation fee. The remainder of the fees paid can be used toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 90 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.
If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.