After the Grand Canyon, the Slot Canyons with their sculptured walls of sandstone carved over thousands of years are probably the most popular photographic attraction in Northern Arizona. On this Slot Canyons photography workshop, you’ll learn the exposure secrets and how to utilize that light to create incredible images of these exciting and unique formations. Vivid tones of red, purple, amber and bronze create a kaleidoscope of color in the stone that was once the sandy seabed of an ancient ocean. When the sun is in the correct position, slender shafts of light penetrate these narrow canyons and bounce off the rock walls. Canon Explorer of Light Ken Sklute knows the perfect times to capture the light.
The rocky plateau surrounding Lake Powell is the setting for this five-day workshop. We’ll spend a time in the serpentine slot canyons of Secret Canyon and Canyon X where you’ll discover keyholes, arches and curving walls shaped by wind and water. Here, the compositions are endless.
During this five day experience we will photograph Horseshoe Bend from the overlook. This is one of the Colorado River’s most breathtaking panoramas. We will also photograph sunrise at Little Cut, with its long vistas and stone teepees. As we wander the northern reaches of the Colorado Plateau, we will find a wealth of other photographic opportunities, including the stunning Vermilion Cliffs and Paria Bluffs, where we’ll capture images of towering “hoodoos.”
Ken’s passion for sharing his knowledge on the use of light and shadows will be instrumental in creating dramatic images. Join us for a journey to this one-of-a-kind Arizona destination. Our participants send us more outstanding photos from this workshop than any other, a testimony to our instructors and the inspiration of the canyons.
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix
- Lodging based on Double Occupancy
- Water, snacks and a farewell dinner
- All applicable entrance, model, park, permit and tour fees
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Saturday, March 23
- Meet at 7:30am at the Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport to load gear and depart by 8:00am.
- Enroute we’ll stop for lunch at the Cameron Trading Post.
- After settling into our hotel rooms, we’ll meet briefly for a workshop orientation.
- Our first sunset shoot will be of Lake Powell from Potato Hill.
- Return to hotel for dinner.
Day 2 – Sunday, March 24
- Our day will begin well before sunrise with a short ride to Little Cut to capture beautiful panoramic views of the Vermillion Cliffs.
- After sunrise we’ll return to the hotel for breakfast.
- After breakfast we are off to Secret Canyon for a two-hour session photographing the beautiful slot canyon.
- Return to our Hotel. Our evening shoot will be at Toad Stool near Paria Wash, a unique series of pedestals.
- Return back to Page for dinner.
Day 3 – Monday, March 25
- Horse Shoe Bend isn our first shoot of the day. This is a panorama view of the Colorado River from 700 feet above.
- Return to Page for breakfast, download images and have a late morning critique session.
- Break for lunch
- Mid afternoon we’ll photograph more geological wonders and end our day with a sunset at Stud Horse Point which is a series of pedestals overlooking Green Valley.
- Return to Page for dinner.
Day 4 – Tuesday, March 26
- Our day will start with a sunrise shoot over Lake Powell before returning to the hotel for breakfast.
- Mid-morning we will drive to Canyon X for more magical photo opportunities of intriguing slot canyons.
- Return to hotel for lunch and our second critique.
- After the critique we will go to the Old Paria Town site for our late sunset shoot.
- When we return we will enjoy a farewell dinner and share stories of our photographic journey.
Day 5 – Wednesday, March 27
- With our bags packed, we’ll meet early for breakfast, load up by 8:30, and spend the last of our time together in Page photographing from the Lake Powell overlook.
- Mid-morning we will begin our trek back to Phoenix, taking a lunch break at Cameron Trading Post.
- We will arrive back to Phoenix around 6pm.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Short hike on flat, graded, maintained trail for up to 3 miles round-trip. Some scrambling on rocks. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots recommended.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
Courtyard by Marriott at Lake Powell
600 Clubhouse Drive
Page, Arizona 86040
Phone: (928) 645-5000
Four nights lodging is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. A single room supplement is available for an additional fee at time of registration.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.