Experience the uniquely intriguing landscape of the Colorado Plateau as Arizona Highways PhotoScapes guides you through sandstone country, where red rocks, towering buttes, and slot canyons come alive in the harshness of the arid desert.
During this five-day workshop, you will photograph a labyrinth of slot canyons with colorful hues of golds, reds, purples, and blues and their narrow canyon walls of waves, curls, arches, and cornices. Our photo adventure includes a leisurely half-day float trip down the Upper Canyon of the Colorado River to capture the beauty of the canyon from within.
The workshop includes photo destinations at Horseshoe Bend Overlook, one of the Colorado River’s most breathtaking panoramas, and sunrise from Little Cut, with its long vistas and stone teepees. Other photographic opportunities, such as the Vermilion Cliffs, Waterholes Canyon, and the towering hoodoos known as the Toadstools will round out the photo exploration of the Colorado Plateau.
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix, AZ
- 4 nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- 1/2 day float trip on the Colorado River
- Water and snacks
- Guided outfitter tours, gratuity, entrance fees & National Park and Navajo Nation permits
- Post-workshop critique
All lodging is based on single occupancy. Should you be traveling with a companion and would like to share a room, please notify our office for a double occupancy deduction.
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Monday, March 20, 2023
- Depart Holiday Inn & Suites Airport location at 8:00 am.
- We will stop for lunch at Cameron Trading Post where the specialty of the house is Navajo Tacos.
- Arrive at our hotel in Page and check in.
- Photographer’s presentation.
- We will depart the hotel late afternoon for our sunset session at Stud Horse Point.
- Dinner will follow this session.
Day 2 – Tuesday, March 21, 2023
- Up and at it early for sunrise at Little Cut then return for quick breakfast
- Depart for our tour of Secret Canyon, where we’ll spend a couple of hours winding through the various chambers of this meandering canyon.
- Return to hotel to download and prep images
- Will begin our afternoon with a working lunch for our critique.
- Depart hotel late afternoon for sunset at Paria Bluff and Toad Stools.
- Dinner to follow.
Day 3 – Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- Very early rise this morning for sunrise at Horseshoe Bend.
- Depart for a half-day float trip from Glen Canyon Dam to Lee’s Ferry.
- Depart for a sunset shoot at the Finns
- Dinner will again follow this session.
Day 4 – Thursday, March 23, 2023
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- Depart for two private slot canyon tours.
- Afternoon critique
- Depart for a leisurely sunset shoot at Lake Powell Overlook.
- Return for a farewell dinner.
Day 5 – Friday, March 24, 2023
- One more sunrise at Glen Canyon National Park.
- Breakfast back at the hotel and depart for home.
- Head south to Cameron for lunch.
- Return to Phoenix late evening
Strenuous Rating: Moderate to Somewhat Difficult
The workshop locations vary in terrain. Much of our walking will be done on uneven, non-maintained trails of sand, dirt, and/or rock. We will take a few hikes, with the maximum being 2.5 miles round trip, including our visit to Horseshoe Bend where we will photograph on the edge of a 1000-ft. canyon drop-off.
The raft trip on the Colorado River is a leisurely half-day float. Everyone will be outfitted with life vests. Our float trip requires us to be in compliance with all security policies. Participants may only bring small daypacks or camera bags 20″ or less, water or other beverages, soft-sided coolers, raingear or other outerwear, medications, binoculars, wallet, keys, and passports on the 1/2-day river trips.
Workshop departs from and returns to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
We will spend four nights at the Lake Powell Courtyard by Marriott in Page. All lodging is based on single occupancy. Should you be traveling with a companion and want to share lodging, please notify our office. A double occupancy lodging discount will be issued.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
CANCELATION POLICY: All cancelations must be in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you cancel your reservation 181 days or more from departure, your deposit will be refunded less a $100 cancelation fee.
- If you must cancel your reservation between 120 days and 180 days prior to your trip, you will be refunded any amount you have paid less a $500 cancelation fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 90-119 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher less the cancelation fee. The remainder of the fees paid can be used toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 90 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.
If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.