Capturing great animal photos requires a combination of correct camera settings and anticipation of animal behavior that will provide an intriguing image. Our Wildlife World Zoo photo workshop is the perfect place to hone your skills for photographing wildlife in a captive environment.
Wildlife World Zoo & Aquarium is a 95-acre zoo and aquarium in Litchfield Park, Arizona, near Phoenix. The zoo has Arizona’s largest collection of exotic animals with over 6000 individual animals representing more than 600 different species.
The workshop begins with a lecture/webinar before the Zoo opens. Topics cover choosing the right camera exposure mode, composition suggestions, focus considerations, the importance of depth of field, when to use electronic flash, and easily learned techniques, such as how to make a fence disappear in the photo. The lecture session concludes with Amy sharing photographs taken during her visits to the Zoo to illustrate her tips, inspire your creativity and prepare you for getting the most from your visit.
Throughout the day, Amy will provide hands-on assistance in photographing wildlife in a variety of Zoo settings, including outdoor habitats and enclosed habitats with artificial lighting. Class size is limited so you will have plenty of one-on-one time with Amy throughout the workshop to ask questions and get coaching specific to your individual photographic needs.
During this one day workshop, you will be learning about wildlife photography and learn how to photograph them in various habitats. Participants should plan on bringing their camera and manual; a tripod is not recommended.
Pre-Workshop Webinar: To be scheduled a few days prior to the workshop. This webinar is designed to review camera settings and wildlife photographing techniques in order to maximize your time during the field session at the Zoo.
Day 1 – Sunday, March 7, 2021
- Arrive at the Wildlife World Zoo by 8:30 am to arrive when the gates open at 9:00 am.
- We will ride the Safari tram for a unique experience in the hoofstock habitats.
- We will continue to work the habitats with the best light and move throughout the park as the light changes.
- Participants will break for lunch around 11:30 (not included in workshop).
- We will spend the remainder of the afternoon working on technique and creating spectacular images.
- At 2:30, we will reconvene for a private bird exhibition where we will have great opportunities for capturing these feathered friends.
- The workshop will adjourn by 3:30 pm at which time participants may choose to continue to photograph throughout the park
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
There is a great deal of walking throughout the Wildlife Zoo. Please wear comfortable walking shoes.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.