The Eastern Sierra Nevada mountains is truly a photographer’s paradise. Scenic mountain peaks, pristine lakes, sparkling rivers, and rushing waterfalls are just a few of its spectacular treasures. This breathtaking scenery takes root in the intriguing geology of the region. From the colossal columns of rock and boulders to glacial granite peaks, the massive mountains, and deep valleys offer endless opportunities to hone your skills in creating panoramic landscapes, shooting moving water with neutral density filters and slow shutter speeds to create silky smooth water, and using telephoto lenses to capture intimate vignettes.
As we traverse the Eastern Sierra, we will continue our quest for creative compositions as we head to the Patriarch Grove at 11,000 ft to photograph the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest if permitting is accessible. Alternately, we will visit Devils Postpile, Rainbow Falls, and Arrowhead Lake. As we wind up our week, we will visit one of North America’s oldest lake, the intriguing Mono Lake Tufa towers. These unique destinations provide exceptional opportunities to practice working with perspectives, textures, and artistic imagery.
Of course, nature isn’t the only draw in the Sierra Nevada. It’s historic importance traces back to the boom and bust days of California’s gold mining era. Today, the mining ghost town of Bodie stands testament to the glory days of the wild west. Our group will venture to Bodie to photograph the state of arrested decay as we walk amongst the remaining standing structures and create vintage photos of such favorites as the Methodist Church, firehouse, general store, stamp mill and so much more.
And while nature and history will fill our lenses, we will also have an opportunity to incorporate science and technology into our photo adventure with a visit to the Owens Valley Radio Telescopes where we will shoot stars and the telescopes in the night skies.
When not busy in the field filling our memory cards, we will spend some classroom time working on techniques for panoramas, long shutter speeds, manual settings for night photography, and Photoshop basics for post-processing.
Come along on this spectacular photo adventure with instructor and photographer Tom Klare and create picture-perfect memories.
- Photographic instruction
- 5 nights lodging based on single occupancy *
- Roundtrip transportation from Reno, NV
- Welcome dinner, water, snacks, and 3 picnic meals
- Park permits and entrance fees
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change depending on weather and lighting conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Sunday, September 11, 2022
- Depart Reno at 8:00 am for our drive to Mammoth Lakes.
- After a break for lunch, we will check into our hotel.
- Group will have an informal meet-n-greet at 7:00 pm for a brief introduction and orientation.
Day 2 – Monday, September 12, 2022
- Our first day will hit the ground running with field shoots in the morning at some nearby Sierra Mountain Lakes and Minarets Vista.
- After a break for lunch, we will convene in the meeting space for a lecture and samples on how to shoot mountain landscapes and moving water.
- Mid-afternoon we will travel to Rainbow Falls to shoot moving water and the surrounding scenery. A neutral density filter that reduces the light by 6 to 10 or more stops is recommended to enable long shutter speeds.
- Return to Mammoth for welcome dinner.
Day 3 – Tuesday, September 13, 2022
- Morning post-production and critique
- After lunch, our group will depart for the Historic Bodie Ghost Town where we will spend a good portion of the day photographing the remaining town and mining structures still standing.
- Early evening the group will return for dinner.
Day 4 – Wednesday, September 14, 2022
- We will begin our day with classroom instruction on how to photograph stars and manual focus techniques, and using basic photoshop post-production for star photography.
- Break for lunch
- Mid-afternoon we will depart for Owens Valley Radio Telescopes where we will photograph late afternoon light on Radio Dish Telescopes, photograph stars when it gets dark.
- The group will have a picnic dinner in the field.
Day 5 – Thursday, September 15, 2022
- Our group will depart on a 2.5-hour drive to the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest atop an 11,000 ft mountain to photograph some of the oldest living trees in the world with their twisted bark and beautifully colored wood.
- Picnic lunch in the field.
- Continue photographing the forest and sweeping views.
- Return to Mammoth with a stop in Bishop for dinner.
Day 6 – Friday, September 16, 2022
- Our last morning will find us at Mono Lake for sunrise where we will wind-up our whirlwind exploration of the Sierra Nevada. Here we will photograph the ancient saline lake with its intriguing limestone formations.
- Return to the hotel by noon and checkout.
- Workshop adjourns
Physical Rating: Moderate to Slightly Rigorous
This workshop is based in the Town of Mammoth Lakes which is situated at 7,800 ft. During our week of exploration, we will travel to various elevations from 6,300′ to 11,000′. Participants should be comfortable acclimating to the changes in elevation. Our excursions will be no longer than 1 – 2 miles roundtrip with terrain varying being rocky near streams, and gravel or sand in other areas. Weather can get cold at high altitudes and during storm conditions. The road to Bristlecones is a narrow windy mountain road, several miles which is dirt and maybe bumpy in some areas.
Lodging Departure and Return Location
SureStay Plus by Best Western Hotel & Conference Center
1981 Terminal Way
Reno NV 89502
Our group will depart from the SureStay Plus in Reno at 8:00 on September 11th. To reserve your prenight, please contact the hotel directly to reserve your room for September 10th and if you require a post night on the 16th. The hotel offers a complimentary airport shuttle service.
Lodging During the Workshop
Best Western Premier High Sierra Hotel
3228 Main Street
Mammoth, CA 93546
Tel: (760) 924-1234
Our group will be based out of the Best Western Premier High Sierra Hotel during our stay in Mammoth. Five nights of single-occupancy lodging is included in your workshop fee. Should you require pre-night or post-night lodging you will be responsible for contacting the hotel and making your reservations directly.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.