Welcome to the Women’s Photo Retreat in San Diego, California. Since 2011 AHPS Women’s Photo Retreat has encouraged women photographers, both young and mature, novice and expert, to come together in a supportive learning environment. This four-day workshop to San Diego will take advantage of warm light, moderate temperatures and scenic locations. Known for its extensive beaches, surfers and Spanish history, San Diego offers a variety of photographic opportunities.
An expert in photography education, Amy will challenge you to make beautiful images at the most photogenic spots in this area. From birds in flight to sunsets by the pier, we will capture the relaxing waves and macro details on the coast. Experience the supportive environment of an all women group as we follow the light and find our own unique approach to capturing a photograph.
- Photographic instruction
- Transportation in San Diego during the workshop
- Lodging based on Double Occupancy
- Lunches, snacks and a farewell dinner
- All applicable entrance, park, permit and tour fees
- Post-workshop critiques
Day 1 – Thursday, September 26th
- At 8:30am the group will meet in the hotel parking lot for a brief introduction prior to heading out to Fort Rosecrans Cemetery and Cabrillo National Park. Here we’ll enjoy low tide at the lighthouse, tidal pools and capture images of birds in flight.
- Late lunch/early dinner in Point Loma
- We will catch the warm sunny glow on the cliffs along the Pacific Ocean.
Day 2 – Friday, September 27th
- Early morning sunrise at Shelter Island along with reflections in the harbor.
- Then the group will be off to Balboa Park for morning light on the unique architectural features, flowers and Spanish Village.
- Lunch at Balboa Park.
- After returning to our hotel briefly, we will visit iconic San Diego locations such as Seaport Village, Gaslamp Quarter and Old Town.
- Dinner on Coronado Island
- At sunset we will photograph San Diego at night from Coronado Island.
Day 3 – Saturday, September 28th
- Sunrise will bring us back to Coronado Island to capture the sun rising behind the Coronado Bridge.
- Then we will head up the coast to La Jolla to take in seals, sea lions, sea gulls, crashing waves and we won’t miss the Dr. Suess tree.
- Brunch in La Jolla.
- Return to the hotel for time to unwind and download.
- Afternoon light at one of San Diego’s beautiful beaches with pier sunset views.
- Farwell Dinner.
Day 4 – Sunday, September 29th
- Our last sunrise will again capture views of San Diego’s bayside.
- Stop at Chicano Park on our way back to the hotel.
- Enjoy breakfast before checkout.
- Meet for an image critique from 11:30am – 2pm
- Workshop adjourns at 2pm.
Strenuous Rating: Easy – Moderate.
Short walks along boardwalks, beaches, and locations about San Diego.
Lodging During the Workshop
Wyndham San Diego Bayside
1355 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA
Three nights lodging is included in the workshop fee based on double occupancy. Single Supplements are available for an additional fee. Should you require pre-lodging for the night of September 25th or post-lodging for the night of the September 29, please call our office directly and we will arrange your additional lodging request with the hotel. The group rate is based on room and rate availability so you are encouraged to make your reservation requests early.
Workshop Registration Terms
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 60 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.