Located in the high country of eastern Arizona, the X Diamond Ranch is a thriving working Cattle Ranch that has been in the same family since the late 1800’s. This ranch, like so many others found in Arizona and the Southwest, is the backbone of the true American West. Instructor and photographer, Scott Baxter’s photo essay 100 Years 100 Ranchers is a tribute to the life of the Arizona rancher and is the basis for this workshop. Scott is a welcome member of the closely knit ranching community which gives us the unique opportunity to photograph authentic ranch life.
During our workshop, Scott will provide his expert guidance in capturing both posed cowboy and cowgirl portraits as well as portraits of everyday life. You will learn the best techniques for photographing moving cattle and horses. We will photograph cowboys on horseback with their herding dogs drive livestock to different locations.
Our ranch workshop wouldn’t be complete without a horseback trail ride to seek out fall color in the surrounding mountains. This workshop combines elements of landscape, portrait and up-close photography that will give you a beautiful and unforgettable portfolio of Arizona ranch life.
- Photographic instruction
- Four nights lodging in ranch cabins. All cabins have full kitchens with pots, pans, coffee makers, fridge, etc. (*Cabins are shared with other participants unless you request a private cabin which is an additional charge. Cabins are either a 2 bedroom/1 bath or 2 bedroom/2 bath units. If you share a two bedroom-1 bath unit, or a two bedroom two bath where each room has double occupancy, there is no single supplement. If you share a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit (each person having their own private space) then the supplement is $150.)
- Snacks, Box Lunches, and Dinner
- Any applicable entrance, model, and permit fees
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Thursday, October 17
- Arrive and settle into your cabin by 1:00pm at the X-Diamond Ranch.
- The workshop will kick off with a presentation by Scott Baxter
- Our first shoot on the ranch will focus on cowboy portraits in the late afternoon light.
- Dinner at the ranch.
Day 2 – Friday, October 18
- We will start our day photographing cowboys and their dogs riding the across the ranch near an old corral.
- This will be followed by our next location, an old historic cabin to shoot in various lighting conditions.
- Then back to the dining room for a brief overview of the afternoons schedule – shooting a heard of horse during roundup.
- Late in the day we will find a perfect location on or near the ranch for our sunset shoot.
- After dinner we will hold a critique session of the participants images.
Day 3 – Saturday, October 19
- We will depart early to photograph an old cabin and corral in the foothills and have plenty of opportunities for action shots and cowboy portraits with and without horses.
- Then it’s on to the Greer Lakes area near the western boundary of the ranch where we will hike into a canyon for more photo opportunities.
- Lunch in the field followed by an afternoon in the canyon photographing the cowboys and horses in this remote location on the banks Little Colorado River.
- At days end we will photograph the running horses in sunset light.
Day 4 – Sunday, October 20
- Another early morning to capture great photo opportunities of ranch hands driving cattle off the mountain into to the winter pastures.
- Then we will photograph other ranch activities in and around the out buildings where the ranch hands work.
- After a lunch break, we’ll have some downtime to download images and process.
- Late in the afternoon we will enjoy photographing areas around the ranch through sunset.
- We gather for one final hearty meal in the dining hall before adjourning for the evening.
Day 5 – Monday, October 21
- Our last morning will include a tour and history narrative by the ranch owner including a visit to one of the largest preserved Hopi Kiva on private land. You will have the opportunity to photograph artifacts dating some 1500 years old.
- We will also visit the ranch museum that is home to a legacy of Arizona history including pictures of early settlers, saddles, wrangling equipment, and a player piano built in the early 1900’s.
- Following our last image critique we will conclude our workshop. This will be before noon.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Our shooting locations will take place both on X-Diamond ranch property and other area locations. A horseback ride is included in your workshop fee, participants who prefer not to take advantage of this special experience can stay behind at the ranch and photograph. Participants should plan to pack for rugged conditions with good hiking boots and warm clothing.
300 Southfork Rd.
Eagar, AZ 85925
Workshop participants will stay in one of six well appointed ranch cabins. All cabins have full kitchens with pots,pans,coffee makers, fridge, etc. Lunches and dinners are included in your workshop fee however you are on your own for breakfast.There is a Safeway ( 15 min. drive) in Springerville if you need to purchase any items.
Cabins are shared with other participants unless you request a private cabin which is an addl. charge to the single supplement. Cabins are a combination of 2 bedroom/1 bath and 2 bedroom/2 bath units. If you share a two bedroom-1 bath unit, or a two bedroom two bath where each room has double occupancy, there is no single supplement. If you share a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit_(each person having their own private space) then the supplement is $150.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.