Yosemite is one of those places that can’t really be described in words. Even pictures can’t create the feelings one experiences when wandering amongst the towering cliffs, the tremendous sequoias and mesmerizing waterfalls.
David Jaffe has lived and worked in Yosemite National Park for over 10 years and is excited to share some of the iconic landscape photo spots as well as some of the not so well known about locations. There will be opportunities for long hikes to the top of Nevada Falls and the Upper Mariposa Grove as well as options for shorter hikes on those same days.
Regardless of the hikes you choose, there will be incredible photo opportunities. One such opportunity is the possibility of photographing a moonbow over Lower Yosemite Falls!
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Fresno
- 4 nights lodging based on single occupancy
- Park permits and entrance fees
- Water, snacks, and a group meal
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day One: Sunday, April 17, 2022
- Group will meet in a conference room at our airport hotel in Fresno hotel at 8:00 am for a brief orientation and presentation by photographer David Jaffe.
- Check out of the hotel by 9:30 and drive to Yosemite National Park.
- Arrive at the Park by noon where we will have a bite to eat at the Base Camp Eatery.
- Either check into the lodge if rooms are available otherwise we will store luggage until our return.
- The group will head out to Lower Yosemite Falls, and then continue on to Yosemite Visitor Center and cross over to Cooks Meadow for a variety of great photo ops.
- We will return to the lodge after our afternoon shoot to unpack and grab an early dinner.
- After dinner, our group will then drive or take a shuttle to Stoneman Bridge for Sunset on Half Dome.
Day Two: Monday, April 18, 2022
- Our day will start early with a pre-breakfast sunrise shoot at the west end of El Capital meadow. After we have exhausted the early morning light, we will return to the lodge for breakfast.
- Before heading out for the remainder of the day, we will stop and pick up sack lunches to go and then head over towards the Awhanee hotel where we will capture some beautiful compositions of dogwoods.
- As we continue on, we will focus on the naturally occurring royal arches in the granite cliffs of Half Dome.
- With our lunches packed, our group will hike along Tenaya Creek as we head to Mirror Lake (2 miles roundtrip) photographing large cedars, interesting horsetails, and scenic views of Half Dome.
- After returning to the lodge for an early dinner, we will head out again for our sunset shoot at Gates of the Valley where we will capture spectacular views of the Merced River winding into the Yosemite Valley under the backdrop of the rising granite cliffs.
Day Three – Tuesday, April 19, 2022
- We will begin another day bright and early with a short walk from the lodge to capture the rising sun over Yosemite.
- After returning for breakfast, we will pick up another lunch to go and head for our hike to Vernal Falls. (1.6 miles roundtrip to the footbridge and 2.4 miles roundtrip to the top of Vernal Falls)
- Depending on the energy and enthusiasm of the group, we can continue on to Nevada Falls or circle back to the lodge via Clark’s Point.
- Return to lodge for downtime, image critique and early dinner.
- Head out for our sunset shoot at Tunnel View.
Day Four: Wednesday, April 20, 2022
- We will start the day with a full breakfast before heading out to photograph the giant Sequoias in Mariposa Grove.
- Here we will walk amongst the giants creating interesting images of perspective and beauty. Depending on the group’s energy, we may walk further into deeper parts of the grove continuing to focus on intriguing compositions.
- As we return to the Valley, we will make stops at Bridalveil Falls and take in a sunset at the Swinging Bridge.
- Back at the lodge, we will gather for a final dinner and share stories about the week’s adventures and epic photo ops.
Day Five: Thursday, April 21, 2022
- As we wind up our five-day photo adventure we will take in one last early sunrise at Waski Pond capturing reflections of Cathedral Rocks.
- Back at the lodge, we will enjoy one last breakfast before checking out and loading our luggage to head towards Fresno.
- En route, we will make stops at Cascade Waterfall, a 500′ waterfall feeding into the Merced River, and make stops to capture some beautiful wildflowers along the way.
- Arrive back in Fresno in mid-afternoon.
- Workshop adjourns.
Physical Requirements: MODERATE
Most of our hikes will be on moderately maintained trails. Some hikes are a short walk while others may go up to 4.5 miles roundtrip. Elevation gain can rise from 200′ to 1000′ depending on how far participants wish to go.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Best Western Plus
1551 N Peach Ave,
Fresno, CA 93727
Tele: (559) 251-5200
The group will meet in Fresno prior to our departure to Yosemite. A courtesy block of rooms has been reserved for the nights of April 16 and 21, 2022. Please contact the hotel directly at (800) 528-1234 and identify yourself with Arizona Highways PhotoScapes to reserve your pre-night or your post-night stay. These nights are not included in your workshop fee and must be booked prior to March 15, 2022 in order to guarantee availability.
Lodging During the Workshop
During this workshop, we will stay inside the park at the Yosemite Valley Lodge. 4 nights lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. If you are traveling with family or a companion a double occupancy deduction is available.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.