Join travel photographer Kerrick James as we criss-cross the Washington/ Idaho border, circling north over the Palouse River to capture the backroads and farms that form one of America’s most unique regions. Travel to the agricultural heart of the northwest, where fields of wheat and lentils roll gently into the distant, surrounding mountains.
Your fieldwork begins at the top of Steptoe Butte, a 400 million-year-old overlook, as sunset hues warm the landscape below. Explore the ghost town of Elberton, where a great fire and the Great Depression sent inhabitants looking for a better life.
Ecosystems collide at Kamiak Butte, where a rich forest of pine and fur falls away to sage desert below. Take a break from landscapes in Uniontown (population 300), where artisans have taken an old dairy barn and renovated it into a thriving work and gallery space. The metal wheel art surrounding the property casts striking silhouettes against the grasslands.
This Palouse workshop combines a variety of photographic opportunities with the expert guidance of Kerrick James. Allow his knowledge and advice to help you craft your own artistic vision of the Inland Empire.
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Spokane, Washington
- 4 nights lodging based on single occupancy
- A welcome dinner, one picnic dinner, snacks, and water
- All applicable entrance, park, permit, and tour fees
- Post-workshop critiques
*Photographers traveling together who wish for double occupancy will receive a discount to their workshop fee.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Saturday, June 18, 2022
- Arrive in Spokane and check-in to the Holiday Inn by 5:00pm.
- We will have an informal meet and greet at 6:00pm.
- Welcome Dinner at 6:30pm.
Day 2 – Sunday, June 19, 2022
- We will at the Holiday Inn at 8:00am. Kerrick will do a presentation and orient us on photographing the Palouse, which will be followed by an image critique of photos brought from home.
- Mid-morning we will check-out of hotel, load luggage, and have a quick lunch before driving through the backroads of Eastern Washington farm country. We will stop to photograph Americana scenes along the way until we wind our way to Steptoe Butte for our sunset shoot and picnic dinner.
- Check into our hotel in Colfax.
Day 3 – Monday, June 20, 2022
- Early morning return to Steptoe Butte for a sunrise session, with the possibility of a crescent moon predawn.
- After a break for breakfast we’ll head East to the town of Palouse, and over the Idaho border, looping back to Kamiak Butte for a late light shot to capture the beautiful textures, colors, and patterns of the patchwork fields and farmlands.
- Return to hotel.
Day 4 – Tuesday, June 21, 2022
- After breakfast, we are off to Uniontown to shoot metal farm art in the morning light.
- Late morning we will return to the hotel for image download and critique.
- After a break for lunch, we will drive to and photograph Elberton’s ghost town on our way to the Palouse Falls State Park for afternoon light.
- Photograph sunset and night skies over Washington.
- Return to Colfax.
Day 5 – Wednesday, June 22, 2022
- Out early for sunrise on Kamiak Butte.
- Return for breakfast in Palouse, before hitting the backroads and farms through Garfield, Tekoa, and Oaksdale.
- We’ll take a break for lunch, before photographing the interesting octagonal barn in St. John.
- Return to Spokane arriving late evening.
Strenuous Rating: Easy.
Little to no hiking. Photography location access is extremely easy.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
1616 S. Windsor Drive.
Phone: (509) 838-1170
Our first night’s lodging on Saturday, June 18th will be at the Spokane airport Holiday Inn. This night is included in your workshop fee and based on single occupancy.
The workshop concludes late on Wednesday, June 22nd so you are encouraged to make your travel plans accordingly. A courtesy block of rooms has been reserved on space and rate available status for the day the workshop ends. This night is not included in your workshop fee and must be booked directly with the hotel.
Lodging During the Workshop
Best Western Wheatland Inn
701 N Main Street
Colfax, Washington 99111
Tel: (509) 397-0397
During the workshop, we will spend three nights lodging in Colfax, WA. These nights are included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.