Join nature photographer David Jaffe for an immersion into some of the most exquisite natural landscapes in the Pacific Northwest. During this five-day workshop, we will split our time between Primary Growth Temperate rainforest and beautiful beaches along the west coast of the Olympic Peninsula.
Our time at the Hoh Rain Forest will fill your lenses with an abundance of beauty. Moss-covered rocks, ferns, rambling waterfalls, and green canopies of coniferous and deciduous species add a dimension of enchantment to the rainforest.
Our accommodations at Lake Crescent Lodge will give us terrific access to late night and early morning photography without having to get in a vehicle, or if so, only for a very short period. This is extremely appealing!
As we navigate the Peninsula, we will also stay in Forks for easy access to Ruby, First and Second Beaches for spectacular coastal views for sunrise, sunset, and intimate tidepool compositions.
We will wind up the workshop at Lake Quinault where we will photograph pristine waterfalls and lakeside views of ancient Sitka spruce, Douglas fir, western red cedar, and western hemlocks hugging the shoreline.
Join us for this spectacular workshop in the Pacific Northwest.
- Classroom instruction and field techniques
- Four nights of single occupancy lodging
- Roundtrip transportation and ferry rides beginning in Seattle
- Water, snacks and a group meal
- Permits and park entrance fees
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop image critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1- Monday, June 26, 2023
- Our group will meet early in the lobby of our SeaTac hotel to pack our gear and luggage and set off on our photo adventure.
- The first stop is Seattle’s downtown Pike Place Market, where fish are flying, flower vendors are abundant, and produce is ripe for purchase.
- After some fun in the marketplace, we will head to the ferry terminal to depart for Bainbridge. En route, we will have great photo opportunities to capture panoramas of the Seattle skyline.
- Back on land, we’re off to Lake Crescent to photograph the forest and waterfalls.
- After checking into our lodging, our group will begin exploring and photographing the wonderful landscapes.
Day 2 -Tuesday, June 27, 2023
- A very early rise for more rainforest photography including Marymere Falls, Lake Crescent, and Sol Duc Falls where we will make silky waterfall images amongst the lush green foliage and moss-covered boulders.
- We then move to our coastal photoshoots where we will spend the afternoon at one of the three beach locations (Rialto, First or Second Beach)
- Back in Forks we will check in to our lodging and enjoy some downtime to download images before dinner.
Day 3 – Wednesday, June 28, 2023
- Up early we will head to the Hoh Rainforest to capture the lush green foliage draping the branches of the ancient trees. Here we will work on interesting compositions and vignettes, both macro and landscape.
- We will make a stop at Mineral Creek and Maple Creek falls before we will head back to Forks, grab lunch and download images for our image critique.
- In the late afternoon, we’ll head back to the beaches for our sunset shoot with interesting foregrounds of driftwood, rocks, and coastal shoreline.
Day 4 – Thursday, June 28, 2023
- Before departing Forks we will hit the beaches one last time for a morning shoot, hopefully with morning mist, fog, beautiful tide pools, and coastal views.
- Back to Forks to check out and grab a bite to eat before heading to Lake Quinault.
- En route, we will stop at Merriman Falls, Bunch Creek Falls and explore more opportunities to photograph the rainforest
- Arrive at Lake Quinault, check-in and then we’ll head out to photograph around the lodge and beach
- Back at the lodge, we will enjoy our final dinner and great photo stories.
Day 5 – Friday, June 30, 2023
- On our last morning, we will rise early for our sunrise shoot.
- Back for late breakfast and check-out.
- Begin our journey back to Seattle where we’ll say our goodbyes.
- We will arrive back in Seattle early afternoon.
- Workshop adjourns.
Activity Level: Moderate to Slightly Difficult
This workshop entails some hiking through wet dense forests and rocky coastlines. Some hikes are uphill and as much as a mile in distance, while others are short but require dexterity to climb over 50 feet of beach timber. Participants must be able to maneuver over tidal pool rocks which can be slippery and navigate some of the hikes in the dark after our sunset, so come prepared with head or flashlights.
The Olympic Peninsula is a lush coastal region which means rain can be likely during your stay. Temperatures are typically moderate but it is recommended that you dress in layers. Rain gear for yourself and your camera equipment is required.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
The workshop will depart from the Hampton Inn & Suites Sea-Tac Airport. The hotel offers a courtesy airport shuttle. A courtesy block of rooms is available the night prior to the workshop and the day we return to Seattle for $169 + tax. These nights are NOT included in your workshop fees. You may reserve your room by contacting the hotel directly at t (206) 244-5044 no later than May 20, 2022. Rooms will be released at that time and will only be available on a first-come-first serve basis. Be sure to mention you are traveling with Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.
Lodging During the Workshop
Our first night of the workshop we will be based at Lake Crescent Lodge. This lodging is included in your workshop fees. Lodging is based on single occupancy unless you are traveling with another participant.
Olympic Inn Suites
800 Olympic Drive
Forks, WA 98331
Phone: (800) 262-3433
For the next two nights, we will stay in the quaint town of Forks. This lodging is included in your workshop fees. Lodging is based on single occupancy unless you are traveling with another participant.
Lake Quinault Lodge
345 S Shore Rd,
Quinault, WA 98575
Phone: (360) 288-2900
On the last night of the workshop we will stay at the historic Lake Quinault Lodge This lodging is included in your workshop fees. Lodging is based on single occupancy unless you are traveling with another participant.
TRAVEL INSURANCE IS RECOMMENDED
CANCELATION POLICY: All cancelations must be in writing to email@example.com
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less the $250 administrative fee. The remainder of the fees paid can be used toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 processing fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but are not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging, and more require firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable which is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.