Join travel photographer Kerrick James on a journey through the Verde Valley as we photograph the Verde Canyon Railroad from both on and off the train. This three-day workshop will include photo sessions on shooting motion, perspective, and landscape scenes.
While aboard one of the renovated vintage first-class passenger cars, you will have the option of shooting from your window seat or in an open-air viewing car to capture scenic landscapes along the Verde River. During this four-hour ride we will take in views of towering red rock buttes, steep ravines, fall color, and if we’re lucky maybe even a few bald eagles perched in the trees.
When not riding the train, we will chase it, capturing both up-close details and from a distance above the tracks. Here we will focus on fast shutter speeds for crisp images and motion blurs for artistic images.
We will even spend some time as travel photographers, walking about Jerome photographing the historic and eclectic buildings, and visiting the Gold King Mine to capture vintage cars, trucks, and mining equipment.
This is the perfect escape for train fans, weekend photo warriors, or anyone who just wants to have some fun.
- Photographic instruction
- 2 Nights Lodging based on Single Occupancy
- Train fare and entrance fees
- Water, snacks, a picnic lunch, and a group meal
- Pre-workshop webinar.
- Post-workshop critique
Participants will meet in Cottonwood at our designated hotel. Group transportation will be provided onsite to shooting locations.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Friday, April 29, 2022
- Arrive in Old Town Cottonwood by 10:30 am.
- Pick up a box lunch to enjoy during an orientation presented by Kerrick along with a preview of images from the Verde Canyon Railroad.
- After lunch, the group will drive out to shoot the outbound train crossing the SOB trestle above the Verde River.
- We will return to town and check into our hotel, returning later to shoot the train at a high vantage point above the Verde River in the late afternoon.
- Dinner in town.
Day 2 – Saturday, April 30, 2022
- Our morning will begin with a drive up the hill to Jerome for a morning walkabout shoot.
- Then we will spend a few hours at the Gold King Mine before driving to Clarkdale for lunch.
- In the early afternoon, we will board the train for our ride and shoot on the Verde Canyon Railroad.
- Return to town for dinner.
Day 3 – Sunday, May 1, 2022
- After breakfast, the group will meet at the Riverfront Meeting Center for a critique of our best images.
- Then we will check out of The Tavern Hotel and get one last shot of the train from above the cottonwoods lining the Verde River.
- After the last shoot, we’ll say our goodbyes and drive home.
Lodging During the Workshop:
Iron Horse Inn
1034 N Main St.
Cottonwood, AZ 86326
Two nights of lodging based on single occupancy is included in your workshop fee.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable which is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.