Arizona’s rim country is a favorite location for nature lovers and photographers alike. The rim’s scenic lakes, creeks, flowers, and forests offer unlimited opportunities to hone your photography skills. Under the guidance of photographer Amy Horn, participants will learn to create simplified compositions while applying exposure and hyperfocal techniques, working with filters, moving water, motion blur, macro photography, and of course, panoramic landscapes.
During this extended weekend workshop, we will traverse the Mogollon Rim from our base at Kohls Ranch to Willow Lake and parts in between. Amy will focus on teaching the elements of design (line, shape, form, and texture) that will strengthen your compositions. She will conduct image reviews both in the classroom and in the field that will provide practical real-time improvement.
This is the ideal workshop for beginner to intermediate photographers. If you are ready to take the next step and go beyond auto settings or simply looking to strengthen your composition and technical skills, you will want to join Amy on the rim in May of 2023!
- Workshop webinar orientation
- Field instruction and image reviews
- Two nights’ of single-occupancy lodging
- Water and snacks
- Post-workshop critique
Transportation is not included in this workshop. Participants will be encouraged to carpool to minimize congestion.
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Friday, May 19, 2023
- Group will meet at Kohl’s Ranch hotel at 10:00 am for an outdoor exercise photographing water with filters and close-up/macro subjects.
- Break for an early dinner, then capture the late afternoon light at Woods Canyon Lake will give participants a great opportunity to master the use of filters and apply hyperfocal techniques in the field.
- Return to Kohl’s Ranch.
Day 2 – Saturday, May 20, 2023
- We will depart early for Woods Canyon Lake to capture sunrise on the lake and hike along the Woods Canyon Lake Trail to photograph the area. We will stop at several overlooks of the Mogollon Rim along with spring flowers as we head back to the hotel.
- Breakfast at Kohl’s Ranch.
- After downloading images, we will meet for photo feedback, critiques, and discussion on gear.
- Early afternoon we will search for moving water and design elements along Horton Creek.
- Early dinner at Kohl’s Ranch.
- We will catch the afternoon light at Willow Springs Lake searching for elements of design in our intentional compositions.
- After sunset, we will make one last stop along the rim to capture the earth’s shadow with distant mountains.
- Return to Kohl’s Ranch.
Day 3 – Sunday, May 21, 2023
- Early morning we will capture moving water along the Tonto Creek at Kohl’s ranch and photograph horses on the property.
- Breakfast at Kohl’s Ranch and checkout.
- 10:00 am – 12 noon Photo feedback/critiques.
- The workshop adjourns at 12:00 p.m.
Physical Rating: Moderate
This workshop takes place on unmaintained mountain trails, along lakes and stream shorelines, and in forested areas. Some rock scrambling, and short inclines/declines. Hiking poles may be beneficial in some areas.
Lodging during the workshop:
Kohl’s Ranch Lodge
202 S Kohl Ranch Lodge Rd
Tel: (928) 478-4211
This workshop will be based at Kohl’s Ranch Lodge outside of Payson. Two nights of single-occupancy lodging are included in your workshop fee. If you plan to arrive the day prior, please select the optional pre-night at checkout.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing to email@example.com. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less the non-refundable $100 processing fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.