The very unique and photogenic national parks of eastern Utah are world-renowned for their colorful sandstone formations in sharp relief against desert blue skies. For a short period in winter, these magical parks are relatively un-crowded and present a more relaxed time to capture the essence of the Colorado Plateau landscape. Winter weather is a blessing and if we are lucky, we will see a fresh dusting of snow that will add magic to the landscape.
Though winter days are short, affording a more relaxed shooting schedule, the lower winter sun angle means more hours of good light throughout the day. Basing out of Moab, we will explore Canyonlands and Arches National Parks as well as the Colorado River and other nearby gems such as Fisher Towers. Our workshop is timed to see the waxing moon with a near full moonrise around sunset on our last day. Weather permitting we will capture moonlight-bathed landscapes on our last two nights.
- Photography Instruction
- 7 nights lodging (single supplement included)*
- Roundtrip transportation from Grand Junction, CO
- Water, snacks, and a group meal
- Permit and Park Entrance Fees
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day One: Sunday, January 9, 2022
- Group meets at 8 am at hotel in Grand Junction for transfer to Moab via the scenic route along the Colorado River and Highway 128.
- Upon our arrival into Moab we will enjoy an early lunch
- Following lunch we will meet in the conference facilities for an orientation and presentation about what to anticipate in the days ahead
- Then we will have some time check into our accommodatings.
- After getting settled, we will spend the remaining part of the day scouting and photographing ideal locations in Arches National Park.
- Return to town for dinner.
Day Two – Five, January 10-13, 2022
- From our base in Moab we will venture out each day for both sunrise and sunset landscape shoots maintaining flexibility to adapt to weather and snow(if any) conditions.
- We will pick the best day for a sunrise shoot at Mesa Arch in Canyonlands and for a sunset shoot at Delicate Arch.
- To seek something unique we will also explore a dawn and sunrise hike to Delicate Arch for a different perspective from the iconic sunset images typically seen there. On at least one evening we will photograph moonscapes and night imagery in Arches.
- One at least two afternoons we will conduct a group edit and critique session.
Day Six – January 14, 2022
- After our last sunrise shoot we return to our hotel to pack our gear and head back to Grand Junction.
- With consideration for weather conditions, we plan to arrive back in Grand Junction by early to mid-afternoon, when our workshop will adjourn.
Physical Rating: Moderate to Slightly Difficult
The workshop takes place during the winter season with temperatures ranging in the highs of the mid-40’s and the lows in the high 20’s. Along with the cold temperatures, this workshop is timed to hopefully coincide with snowy conditions. Therefore, cold winter clothing and gear will be required.
With regard to physical stamina, the biggest hike is to Delicate Arch, a 2.6-3 mile round trip hike with moderate elevation gain. If ice is present, slippery conditions may also exist. Stability hiking on sandstone will be required.
Lodging During the Workshop
The workshop will depart from the Holiday Inn & Suites in Grand Junction. As our departure is first thing in the morning, the night prior to the workshop, January 8, 2022 is included in your fee. Accommodations are based on single occupancy.
During our stay in Moab, our group will be based at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites. All accommodations are based on single occupancy.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.