Travel photographer Kerrick James will take you on a 4-day workshop, criss-crossing the Washington/ Idaho border and circling north over the Palouse River to capture the backroads and farms that form one of America’s most unique regions. Travel to the agricultural heart of the northwest, where fields of wheat and lentil roll gently into the distant, surrounding mountains.
Your fieldwork begins at the top of Steptoe Butte, a 400 million year old overlook, as sunset hues warm the landscape below. Explore the ghost town of Elberton, where a great fire and the Great Depression sent inhabitants looking for a better life.
Ecosystems collide at Kamiak Butte, where a rich forest of pine and fur falls away to sage desert below. Take a break from landscapes in Uniontown (population 300), where artisans have taken an old dairy barn and renovated it into a thriving work and gallery space. The metal wheel art surrounding the property casts striking silhouettes against the grasslands.
This Palouse workshop combines a variety of photographic opportunities with the expert guidance of Kerrick James. Allow his knowledge and advice to help you craft your own artistic vision of the Inland Empire.
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Spokane, Washington
- Lodging based on Double Occupancy
- A welcome dinner, one picnic dinner, snacks and water
- All applicable entrance, park, permit and tour fees
- Post workshop critiques
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Wednesday, June 19
- Arrive in Spokane and check-in to the Holiday Inn by 5:00pm.
- We will have an informal meet and greet at 6:00pm.
- Welcome Dinner at 6:30pm.
Day 2 – Thursday, June 20
- We will at the Holiday Inn at 8:00am. Kerrick will do a presentation and orient us on photographing the Palouse, which will be followed by an image critique of photos brought from home.
- Mid-morning we will check-out of hotel, load luggage, and have a quick lunch before driving through the backroads of Eastern Washington farm country. We will stop to photograph Americana scenes along the way until we wind our way to Steptoe Butte for our sunset shoot and picnic dinner.
- Check into our hotel in Colfax.
Day 3 – Friday, June 21
- Early morning return to Steptoe Butte for sunrise session, with the possibility of a crescent moon predawn.
- After a break for breakfast we’ll head East to the town of Palouse, and over the Idaho border, looping back to Kamiak Butte for a late light shot to capture the beautiful textures, colors and patterns of the patchwork fields and farmlands.
- Return to hotel.
Day 4 – Saturday, June 22
- After breakfast we are off to Uniontown to shoot metal farm art in morning light.
- Late morning we will return to the hotel for image download and critique.
- After a break for lunch, we will drive to and photograph Elberton’s ghost town on our way to the Palouse Falls State Park for afternoon light.
- Photograph sunset and night skies over Washington.
- Return to Colfax.
Day 5 – Sunday, June 23
- Out early for sunrise on Kamiak Butte.
- Return for breakfast in Palouse, before hitting the backroads and farms through Garfield, Tekoa and Oaksdale.
- We’ll take a break for lunch, before photographing the interesting octagonal barn in St. John.
- Return to Spokane arriving late evening.
Strenuous Rating: Easy.
Little to no hiking. Photography location access is extremely easy.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
1616 S. Windsor Drive.
Phone: (509) 838-1170
Our first night’s lodging on Wednesday, June 19th will be at the Spokane airport Holiday Inn. This night is included in your workshop fee and based on double occupancy.
The workshop concludes late on Sunday, June 23rd so you are encouraged to make your travel plans accordingly. A courtesy block of rooms have been reserved on a space and rate available status for the day the workshop ends. This night is not included in your workshop fee and must be booked directly with the hotel.
Lodging During the Workshop
Best Western Wheatland Inn
701 N Main Street
Colfax, Washington 99111
Tel: (509) 397-0397
During the workshop we will spend three nights lodging in Colfax, WA. These nights are included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Single room supplements are available for an additional fee.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 60 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.