Capture springtime in the desert in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. Join outdoor photographer, Laurence Parent as he guides you to intriguing locations in this pristine Sonoran Desert landscape. This remarkable landscape is home to thirty-one varieties of cacti that thrive in this unforgiving environment. These amazing succulents are only upstaged after a plentiful wet winter feeds the earth and leaves an explosion of wildflowers in its wake. Regardless if we have a plentiful wildflower season, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument offers great photo opportunities.
During the workshop, Laurence will instruct participants on best practices and suggestions for great compositions to bring the most out of your images. This is the perfect weekend getaway to hone your photography skills and capture beautiful desert scenes in the springtime.
- Photography instruction
- Two nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Water and snacks
- Park entrance and permit fees
- Post-workshop critique
*carpooling will be recommended for shooting locations
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Friday, March 5, 2021
- Meet in Ajo at hotel at 2:00 pm for a brief orientation and presentation by Laurence Parent.
- Mid-afternoon, the group will check-in to their rooms.
- Depart for Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument and shoot through sunset.
- Return to Ajo for dinner.
Day 2 – Saturday, March 6, 2021
- Rise early to depart for the Monument before sunrise. The group will photograph sunrise at the foothills of the Puerto Blanco Mountains.
- The group will continue to photograph early morning light at the Red Tank Tinaja – a short 0.8 of a mile one way.
- Return to Ajo for lunch, download, and critique.
- Mid-afternoon, the group will depart for Alamo Canyon for late afternoon and sunset shots.
- Time permitting with our afternoon departure, the group may participate in a 0.9 of a mile hike one way to the old ranch site in Alamo Canyon before transitioning to our sunset location.
- Return to Ajo for dinner.
Day 3 – Sunday, March 7, 2021
- Our last early rise to capture the sunrise at Quitobaquito Spring off South Puerto Blanco Drive. The group will photograph the spring pond and cottonwoods from the short, easy trail that circles it.
- Return to the hotel to download images and then check out of the hotel.
- Break for lunch
- Meet for one last critique before departing for home early afternoon.
Physical Rating: Moderate
This workshop is moderately strenuous. Most photo locations are within easy walking distance with the longest location no more than 1.75 miles round trip. While spring in the desert has comfortable temperatures ranging from the 50’s to the 70’s, participants should plan on sunscreen, a hat, and to stay hydrated.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.