Photograph autumn color, rushing rivers, cascading waterfalls, and panoramic views of the great inland sea known as Lake Superior. Minnesota’s North Shore is a strikingly beautiful area where low forested mountains tumble down to the shore of crystal-clear Lake Superior. Rushing rivers carve narrow gorges into the hard volcanic bedrock. Numerous waterfalls, including the highest ones in Minnesota, noisily crash down the river bottoms. Lighthouses, beaches, and cliffs line the rocky shoreline. Maples, birches, and other deciduous trees flame with color during late September and early October. Much of the beautiful area is easily accessible to photographers via good roads and an extensive trail network.
- Photographic instruction
- Four nights lodging based on single occupancy*
- Roundtrip transportation from Duluth, MN**
- Water, snacks, two picnic lunches, and a group dinner
- Entrance fees and permits
- Post-workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
**Group transportation is included in the workshop fee with a maximum of 5 passengers per large SUV. Should COVID pandemic concerns continue to warrant self-driving, your workshop fee will be adjusted accordingly.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on weather and lighting conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Monday, September 27, 2021
- The group will leave our departure hotel in Duluth around 8:00 am make our way up the North Shore Hwy to Tettegouche State Park.
- In route, we will stop to grab a picnic lunch that we can enjoy on our short hike, approximately 1.5 miles roundtrip, along the Baptism River to Cascades Falls.
- After our hike, we will drive to Silver Bay to check into our hotel and freshen up before our sunset shoot.
- Departing late afternoon, our group will travel back into Tettegouche State Park for our sunset shoot on Shovel Point, approximately one-mile roundtrip.
- Return for dinner.
Day 2 – Tuesday, September 28, 2021
- We will begin the day with a sunrise shoot at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, approximately one-half mile roundtrip.
- Drive a short distance to Gooseberry Falls State Park and shoot Upper, Middle, and Lower Falls of Gooseberry River, total hiking distance approximate one mile.
- Return to Silver Bay for lunch, download, and an image critique.
- Mid-afternoon we will venture out to High Falls in Tettegouche State Park, 1.5 miles roundtrip.
- Our last shoot of the day will take us to Palisade Head, a rugged rock face against Lake Superior for the sweet light of sunset.
Day 3 – Wednesday, September 29, 2021
- Today will be a full-day on the road. Our morning will find us returning to Palisade Head for sunrise as the light casts a beautiful glow on the huge jagged rock face.
- From here, we will drive a short distance along the highway to Caribou Falls where our 1.5-mile roundtrip hike will yield beautiful crashing waterfall images.
- Then it is on to Temperance River State Park where we will hike about a half of mile roundtrip to photography Hidden Falls and the Temperance River Gorge.
- Eat lunch in Schroeder followed by some shooting across the road of Cross River Falls
- Then it’s back up the highway a few miles where we will hike to Upper Falls on the Temperance River, under a mile roundtrip.
- We will wind down the day with a sunset shoot at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park.
Day 4 – Thursday, September 30, 2021
- Our day begins with a sunrise shoot at Shovel Point in Tettegouche State Park.
- Then we will take a short walk over to Illgen Falls for more scenic photos.
- We will return to the hotel for our second critique and have a lunch break.
- Mid-day we will drive to Oberg Mountain in the Superior National Forest and hike to the summit, shooting fall color and stunning views until late in the day. This will be our longest hike at approximately 2.3 miles roundtrip.
- Return for dinner.
Day 5 – Friday, October 1, 2021
- Final sunrise at Split Rock Lighthouse and Little Two Harbors.
- Return to the hotel and check out.
- Begin our journey back to Duluth where we will adjourn and say our farewells.
This workshop entails a series of short hikes, with the longest being 2.3 miles roundtrip. The majority of these hikes are on well-maintained trails, but there is some climbing in elevation (250-300′ gain) on a couple of our jaunts. Trails can be muddy and slippery when wet so extra caution should be taken during those conditions.
4257 Haines Road
Duluth, MN 55811
Phone: (218) 740-4500
A courtesy block is available for pre-night and post-night rooms at our departure hotel in Duluth, MN. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The hotel offers an airport shuttle and complimentary breakfast.
Lodging During the Workshop
AmericInn By Wyndham
150 Mensing Drive
Silver Bay, MN 55614
Tel: (218) 226-4300
During our time at Lake Superior’s North Shore, we will be based at the AmericInn. Four nights lodging, based on single occupancy, is included in your workshop fee. Double occupancy is permitted for couples and family members traveling together. A discount will be provided.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.