Experience a different level of night photography with Beth Ruggiero-York and Arizona Highways PhotoScapes as we photograph the dark skies in Death Valley National Park. In this workshop, Beth will teach and guide you to photograph amazing night landscape images.
During this workshop, and you will learn how to create dramatic night landscapes with star-filled skies. You will also learn how to photograph star-trail images with beautiful foregrounds.
With the exquisite textures of Death Valley National Park there are many new photographic experiences for you to explore. We will shoot Zabriskie Point, as well as Mesquite Dunes, Dante’s View, 20-Mule Team Drive, and other unique locations. Other opportunities will present themselves as we travel through the park. There will be classroom sessions to review and reinforce night photography techniques, to critique participants’ images, and to learn special skills for post-processing night images for the best possible results.
We hope you will join us on this one-of-a-kind night workshop in a one-of-a-kind location!
- Photographic instruction
- A digital copy of Fun in the Dark, a Guide to Night Photography by Beth Ruggiero-York
- 3 nights lodging based on single occupancy
- Roundtrip transportation from Las Vegas, NV
- Snacks, water, 3 picnic lunches and one group dinner
- Permit and entrance fees
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change depending on weather and lighting conditions in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Thursday, January 27, 2022
- Depart for Death Valley from Las Vegas at 8:00 am.
- Upon arrival, the group will meet for an orientation and presentation.
- Late afternoon we will depart for Zabriskie Point for a night shoot.
- We will break for a bite to eat before departing in the late afternoon for our night shoot at Zabriskie Point.
- The evening will be guided shooting night landscapes at Zabriskie.
- Return late to the hotel.
Day 2 – Friday, January 28, 2022
- Meet back in the classroom at 10:00 am for a critique of previous work (no more than 3 images). Additionally, we will critique 2-3 images from Thursday night’s shoot for post-processing.
- Break for lunch
- During the harsh light of the afternoon, we will hold instruction on shooting night skies and hold an interactive session to address concerns or learnings of shooting at night.
- Late afternoon we will depart for Mesquite Dunes to be in place when the sky turns dark.
- On Friday, we will have a picnic dinner in the field so that we may continue shooting through dark landscapes.
Day 3 – Saturday, January 29, 2022
- Meet back in the classroom mid-morning. We will critique and discuss post-processing for 2-3 images from Friday night’s shoot. Classroom time today will be spent learning post-processing techniques for night images, full moon images, and moonlit images.
- Break for lunch.
- Late in the afternoon, we will depart for 20-Mule Team Drive (or Dante’s Point, depending on conditions) for sunset and night shoot.
Day 4 – Sunday, January 30, 2022
- Our last day will end with a morning shoot and then return to the hotel for brunch and checkout.
- Workshop adjourns
Strenuous Rating: Easy to Moderate.
Night-time temperatures in Death Valley in February can be in the low 40’s with daytime temperatures reaching the low 70’s. Participants should pack to be comfortable during our night shooting sessions.
Zabriskie Point – There is a climb on a paved road up to the lookout. It is not dangerous or excessively steep, but for some participants may take longer than others.
Mesquite Dunes – Participants can walk as much or as little as they want onto the dunes. Everyone should stay fairly close together so that the photographer can work with each person.
20-Mule Team Drive – At most 200 yards to where we will shoot on a graded gravel road.
Dante’s Point – Paved road, short walk.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
The workshop departs from the LaQuinta Las Vegas Airport South. A courtesy block of rooms is available for the evenings of January 26 and 30, 2022, which are the pre and post nights of the workshop. Participants are required to make their own reservations directly with the hotel at (702) 492-8900. A credit card is required to guarantee the reservation, and it must be made by December 26, 2021 to guarantee availability. Please identify yourself as being a member of Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.
Lodging During the Workshop
The Oasis at Death Valley – Ranch Rooms
Death Valley, CA
Tel: (800) 236-7916
During our workshop, we will be based at The Oasis at Death Valley – Ranch Rooms. Three nights of single-occupancy lodging is included in your workshop fee.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.