Capture the beauty of New Mexico’s natural and man-made landmarks as we journey with resident travel photographer, Michael DeYoung across the land of enchantment to photograph old adobe churches, scenic landscapes, and cultural-historical sites. From the unique charm of the Southwest architecture found at El Santuario de Chimayo, San Francisco de Asis Church and the Taos Pueblo (the oldest inhabited multi-story adobe dwellings) to the rugged terrain dissected by the Rio Grande canyon with the snow-capped Sangre de Cristo Mountains as a backdrop, we will immerse ourselves in capturing its beauty.
Traveling to the southeast end of the Colorado Plateau, we will move into Georgia O’Keeffe country where creatives have been inspired for decades. Here we will photograph the dramatic landscape of towering rock walls, vivid colors, and vast skies. With Michael’s expert knowledge of this region and artist vision, you will leave with a portfolio of lasting memories and stunning images to hang on your walls.
- Field and classroom instruction
- Four nights lodging (split single & double occupancy)* Full single rooms require a single supplement at registration
- Roundtrip transportation from Santa Fe, NM
- Water, snacks and a group dinner
- Entrance fee and permits
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop critique
See what attendees say about this workshop:
“Arizona Highways PhotoScapes is by far the best workshops for the dollar. Fun, Informative, Great Locations, Great Mentors, and Wonderful Support staff. Support staff always willing to go above and beyond to make sure your experience is by far the best. This was my 3rd workshop and looking forward to my next.” — Bob C.
“Great learning experience at fabulous locations.” — Alfred S.
“Fantastic way to combine new locations with learning” — Walt R.
“A great workshop with a variety of interesting locations.” — Dianne M.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Wednesday, May 20, 2020
- Group will convene at 9:30 am in our conference room where we begin our workshop with a 2-3 hour presentation on Creative Seeing and Thinking, and landscape photography the Southwest and where else to go on your own in northern New Mexico.
- Break for lunch.
- In the afternoon we will head out to photograph the Taos Pueblo.
- We will photograph sunset landscapes of the Sangre de Cristo mountains from one of several local vantage points depending on spring and weather conditions.
- Return for dinner.
Day 2 – Thursday, May 21, 2020
- We will begin our day with a sunrise and early morning shoot at San Francisco de Asis Church.
- After a leisurely breakfast, we spend the rest of the day exploring, scouting and photographing the High Road to Taos. Along our route, we will find pastoral timbered mountain scenes and winding roads and historic towns with very picturesque churches including El Santuario de Chimayo Las Trampas.
- Enroute we will stop and break for lunch.
- We will wind our way to the town of Truchas, the site of Robert Redford’s 1988 movie, Milagro Beanfield War. Here we will try to catch the last rays of New Mexico’s famous enchanted light on the rugged 13,000-foot alpine Truchas Peaks.
- Return to the lodge.
Day 3 – Friday, May 22, 2020
- We will start our day with a sunrise and early morning shoot overlooking the Rio Grande Gorge and Rio Grande del Norte National Monument.
- From here we will travel southwest via the scenic road to our next venue, Abiquiu, and Georgia O’Keeffe country.
- Along the way, we will stop for a brunch in Ojo Caliente then continue to Abiquiu.
- After checking in at the Abiquiu Inn we will spend a few hours in mid-day editing and doing a critique session.
- Late afternoon to sunset takes us to Plaza Blanca to photograph beautiful eroded light-colored cliffs and a mini slot canyon. Below these cliffs, we find newly leafed out cottonwood trees and spring wildflowers.
- Return for dinner and turn-in.
Day 4 – Saturday, May 23, 2020
- At pre-dawn and sunrise, we will return to Plaza Blanca and see this unique landscape in different but equally good lighting to capture different imagery of the same location.
- We will return for a leisurely breakfast before continuing on to explore the Rio Chama Valley and possibly the Monastery of the Desert.
- The remainder of our day will be spent exploring around Ghost Ranch, positioning ourselves for the best possible sunset shots.
- Break for dinner
- Depending on weather and energy of the group, we will do some evening stars or moonlit landscapes around Ghost Ranch.
Day 5 – Sunday, May 24, 2020
- Our last day will remain a little flexible depending on if we stay up late doing night and star photography. If we are out late into the evening we will convene for a late breakfast and a final edit and critique session.
- Or, we will go out for a sunrise shoot of nearby red sandstone cliffs around Ghost Ranch. After checking out of our lodging we return to Taos to enjoy the historic downtown plaza and weather dependent a sunset shoot overlooking the Rio Grande Gorge.
- Our workshop ends after our final shoot mid-day.
Physical Rating: Easy to Moderate.
Hiking around Plaza Blanca near 5500’ will involve up to 1.5 miles of dirt trail hiking and in a wide wash with about 100-200 feet elevation change. Similar conditions are present on short hiking trails at Ghost Ranch. Up to half a mile of walking on uneven terrain around Rio Grande del Norte National Monument at 7000’. There are no facilities in the immediate landscape location areas but within 5-10 minute drive. Weather conditions vary greatly with elevation and participants should be prepared for cool mornings with very pleasant afternoons.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Best Western Plus
3650 Cerrillos Rd
Santa Fe, NM 87507
Phone: (505) 438-3822
The workshop will depart from the Best Western Plus in Santa Fe. A courtesy block of rooms are available the night prior. This hotel is NOT included in your workshop fees. Please reserve directly with hotel.
Lodging During the Workshop
Casa Benavidas Inn
137 Kit Carson Road
Our first two nights of the workshop we will be based in Taos. This lodging is included in your workshop fees. Lodging at Casa Benavides is single occupancy.
21120 U.S. 84
Abiquiu, NM 87510
Phone: (505) 685-4378
Our last 2 nights of the workshop we will be at the charming Abiquiu Inn where the culture and art of Georgia O’Keefe has inspired guests for decades. This lodging is included in your workshop fees. Lodging at Abiquiu Inn is based on double occupancy. To secure a single room you must request the supplement for an additional charge at registration.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.