Navajo photographer LeRoy DeJolie serves as guide, photo instructor and cultural interpreter for this spectacular tour of the ancient Navajoland that is Canyon de Chelly. A land occupied by humans for more than 4,000 years, this archaeological and natural treasure possesses soaring sandstone walls and ancient cliff dwellings among other intriguing sites. The 26-mile canyon is home to Ancestral Puebloan ruins, Navajo hogans, homes and farmlands. LeRoy’s extensive knowledge of the land will aid you in reaching the most spectacular vantages and teach you how to capture this ancient beauty.
Our first day shooting will begin in Chinle, where you’ll have the opportunity to photograph Navajo models, ancient ruins and striated sandstone rock formations along the rim and within the canyon walls of Canyon del Muero and Canyon de Chelly. We’ll capture iconic photo locations such as Spider Rock and White House Ruins as we traverse through these ancient grounds.
Then we’re off to the world-renowned Navajo Nation Fair, where hundreds of Native American dancers and rodeo participants gather each September. LeRoy’s instruction will focus on the how to best capture the visual treat of the dancers’ colorful costumes and head-dresses, as well as the crucial elements involved in action photography.
This workshop offers the best of Navajoland with its stunning landscapes and proud traditions. Join LeRoy for this incredible opportunity to capture the culture and natural beauty of this awe-inspiring land and its people.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day One – Wednesday, September 2, 2020
- Meet in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn and Suites Phoenix Airport at 7:30am to load gear.
- On our drive to Chinle we’ll make a stop for lunch at the La Posada in Winslow, AZ.
- Once we arrive, we’ll check into our hotel.
- Depart for our afternoon sunset shoot at Spider Rock overlook, which may include some portraits of Navajo models in the late afternoon light.
Day Two – Thursday, September 3, 2020
- We’ll rise early to capture early morning sweet light at Tseyi Overlook before returning for breakfast.
- We will head out on a full day tour of Canyons de Chelly and del Muerto where we will photograph some models posed in front of the ruins and in other traditional Navajo settings. We will photograph ancient ruins, petroglyphs and the beautiful striated colors of the sandstone canyon walls.
- Late afternoon, we’ll return to hotel to download images before dinner.
- Critique of the days images.
Day Three – Friday, September 4, 2020
- We’ll rise early to photograph sunrise at the Chinle Sand Dunes before returning to the hotel for breakfast and checkout.
- Mid-morning we’ll travel to Window Rock to enjoy the weekend at the Navajo Nation Fair. After checking into our hotel we’ll head over to the fairgrounds to get our first taste of this extraordinary experience.
Day Four – Saturday, September 5, 2020
- We’ll spend all day today at the Navajo Nation Fair, enjoying the many colorful activities, and taking moving portraits of Navajo subjects that LeRoy will arrange. Rodeo riders, wooly riders, jingle dancers and more will give us unlimited opportunities to craft great portraits.
Day Five – Sunday, September 6, 2020
- We’ll sleep in on our last day before rising for breakfast and our final critique.
- Before noon, we’ll check out and travel back towards Phoenix, stopping for lunch and possible photo opportunities.
- We’ll return to Phoenix late in the evening where the workshop will adjourn.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
During our visit to Canyon de Chelly participants will stay at the Holiday Inn in Chinle. This lodging is included in your workshop fee. All lodging is based on double occupancy unless you specified a single room supplement and paid the additional fee.
St Michaels, AZ 86511
While visiting the Navajo Fair in Window Rock, our lodging will be based in St. Michaels at the Navajoland Inn & Suites. Lodging is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.