Mt. Rainier is the tallest glaciated peak in the contiguous 48 states at 14,410′. It’s glacial umbrella is responsible for more than 150 waterfalls, many over 300 feet in height and provides mesmerizing photo ops throughout the park. From the ancient alpine forests that flank the lower slopes to the meadows of wildflowers, Mt. Rainier National Park is the perfect summer photo adventure.
Under the expert guidance of Canon Explorer of Light Photographer Ken Sklute, you will be in the right place at the right time for the most creative photographs of this magnificent National Park. We will be visiting Mt Rainier during the New Moon so we can capture the Milky Way above this gorgeous mountain with a dark moonless sky.
For five days we will traverse the park and photograph it’s many wonders such as the breathtaking views of Mt. Rainier up-close and from afar. We will visit the Sunrise area which is the highest point that can be reach by vehicle and where meadows of wildflowers abound, offering 360-degree view of Mt. Rainier, Emmons Glacier and other peaks in the Cascade Mountains. We will also visit the Paradise area, also known for its glorious views and fields blanketed in wildflowers.
As we wind up our week, we will enjoy a ride on an old steam locomotive that will traverse through the forest and across the glacial fed Upper Nisqually River tp Mineral, Washington where a museum of steam logging locomotives showcase the days of the pioneers in railroad logging camps in the early to mid-1900’s.
- A camera body (or two)
- Wide angle lenses
- Mid range lenses
- Telephoto zoom lenses
- Sturdy tripod
- A cable release or intervalometer
- Extra camera batteries
- Auxiliary hard drive to download images
- A thorough knowledge of ISO, aperture and shutter speeds and how they relate to each other to make the correct exposure.
- Photographic instruction
- Four nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Round Trip Transportation from Hampton Inn SeaTac
- Water, snacks, continental breakfasts in the field and one group dinner
- All applicable entrance, park, permit and tour fees
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best vased on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Wednesday, July 31
- We will meet at the Hampton Inn & Suites at SeaTac at 9:00am for an orientation and presentation by our photographer, Ken Sklute.
- After checking out of the hotel late morning, we will load luggage and gear, and stop for lunch on the way to Mount Rainier National Park.
- In route we will make stops to capture wildflowers and other scenic viewpoints.
- Mid-afternoon we’ll check into the historic Paradise Inn which will be our base for the remainder of the workshop.
- After an early dinner, we will grab our gear and head out for our late afternoon shoot to photograph sunset and waterfalls.
- Return to hotel.
Day 2 – Thursday, August 1
- We rise early and meet in the lobby and begin our journey to Reflection Lake for sunrise. We’ll have breakfast snacks to hold us over until returning to the Paradise Inn.
- Back at hotel we’ll enjoy an early lunch and some time for rest and download images.
- Mid-afternoon we will hold our first image critique and Q&A.
- Then we will be back out late afternoon to capture stunning sunsets.
Day 3 – Friday, August 2
- Another early rise to depart to Paradise for sunrise and early morning directional light.
- We will enjoy breakfast in the field while we debrief and discuss the mornings experience.
- Back to the hotel late morning for rest, downloading and post-processing images.
- Mid-afternoon Ken Sklute will be available for personal one-on-one coaching.
- Late afternoon we have an early dinner before heading out on a two hour drive to Sunrise where we will photograph the sunset and later, the Milky Way over Mt. Rainier!
Day 4 – Saturday, August 3
- We will meet in the lobby at 8:30 am for our field trip to photograph a steam locomotive as it meanders thru the pine forest, over trestles and at various photogenic views of the picturesque railway.
- Train departs at 11:00 am
- Enjoy lunch in the field
- Return to the train depot around 5 pm.
- Convene for our final dinner.
Day 5 – Sunday, August 4
- Our last early morning rise for another picture perfect sunrise in Mount Rainier National Park.
- Back to the hotel for breakfast, pack our luggage and check-out.
- Return to SeaTac airport by early afternoon.
- Workshop adjourns
Strenuous Rating: Moderate
Days will be long but downtime has been added to the itinerary. We will be up early most mornings at 4:30 and shoot through good light and then backout again late afternoon and into the evening to capture night skies. Most shooting locations are relatively accessible with the most hiking on a maintained trail up to one mile.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Hampton Inn & Suites
18850 28th Avenue South
Phone: (206) -244-5044
The workshop will depart from the Hampton Inn & Suites located at the Seatac airport. A courtesy block of rooms has been set aside for the night of July 30th. This lodging is not included in your workshop fee and must be booked directly by following this link. Please reserve by June 25th to guarantee availability.
Lodging During the Workshop
52807 Paradise Rd E,
Ashford, WA 98304
Tel: (855) 755-22757
During the workshop we will be based at the Paradise Inn inside Mount Rainier National Park. Four nights lodging is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Single room supplements are available for an additional fee.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.