Come photograph crashing waves, surfers, wildlife, and the beautiful beaches from the small fishing village of Morro Bay. This Women’s Photography Workshop will bring out the magic of Morro Bay and neighboring towns whether we are capturing the quiet moments at the beach or the noisy elephant seals in San Simeon. Join us in an encouraging environment filled with photo instruction, challenges, and image reviews, led by a Northern Arizona University photography instructor, Amy Horn.
This four-day workshop to Morro Bay will include a visit to Hearst Castle, elephant seals, surfers, wildlife, and stunning landscapes. Known for the volcanic plug, Morro Rock, Morro Bay offers a variety of photographic views from several neighboring spots. Since 2011, AHPS Women’s Photo Retreat has encouraged women photographers, both young and mature, novice and expert, to come together in a supportive and learning environment.
Each day we will travel in vans to capture scenic views from sunrise to sunset. From the fishing harbor to tide pools, Amy will challenge you to make beautiful images at the most photogenic spots in this area. If you like photographing waves and wildlife in the cool ocean air, this workshop will not disappoint. Experience the supportive environment of an all-women group as we follow the light and find our own unique approach to capturing a photograph. Come with questions and walk away confident with yourself and your photographic abilities.
- Photography instruction and image review
- Four nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Two scheduled airport transfers for pickup and one return at San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport
- Roundtrip from Morro Bay
- Water, snacks and group meal
- Entrance fees and permits
- Post-workshop critique
The following items are recommended to get the most value out of this workshop.
- Digital SLR or Mirrorless equivalent.
- Macro and wide-angle lenses for landscapes, wildflowers and tide pools
- A telephoto lens (up to 200mm) for water birds.
- Wired or wireless cable remote
- Sturdy tripod and ball-head
- Laptop, card reader, flash drive
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may changes. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Thursday, April 15, 2021
- We will meet at the hotel at 9:00 am. Amy will do a presentation and orient us on photographing Morro Bay and the surrounding areas.
- Mid-morning, we will take a walk along Morro Bay Landing to photograph the harbor, sea otters, boats, and Morro Rock along with lunch on the Wharf.
- The afternoon will take us to tide pools before photographing Morro Rock at sunset.
- Dinner following sunset.
Day 2 – Friday, April 16, 2021
- Early morning sunrise from the rocky shores at Morro Strand State Beach then off to photograph elephant seals females and juveniles at the Elephant Seal Rookery in Piedras Blancas.
- On our way back to Morro Bay, we will eat lunch and tour, Hearst Castle, while photographing the grounds and the stunning architecture.
- Late afternoon we will return to the hotel for image download and critiques.
- Early dinner in Morro Bay.
- Photograph sunset from Morro Rock Beach.
Day 3 – Saturday, April 17, 2021
- We will start our morning at another prime sunrise location at Morro Bay.
- Return for breakfast at the hotel before seeking wildlife and macro possibilities at the local Nature Preserve.
- We will eat lunch before driving to Cayucos to photograph surfers and sunset at the pier.
- Return to Morro Bay for a late dinner.
Day 4 – Sunday, April 18, 2021
- We will start our morning at another prime sunrise location. of Morro Rock and Morro Bay Landing.
- Return for breakfast at the hotel and image processing time.
- Mid-morning image review before commencing at 12 noon.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate
A little hiking on sandy beaches and groomed gravel trails. Short incline/declines necessary to access beach and tide pools. Hikes will not exceed 1.5 miles round trip.
La Sirena Inn Best Western
900 Morro Ave.
Morro Bay, CA 93442
Four nights lodging is included in your workshop fee. This includes the night before the workshop begins, April 15, departing April 18, the day the workshop ends.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.