This workshop takes you to Monument Valley and Hunts Mesa, one of the most iconic and unique areas in the American West. When picturing the American West, Monument Valley is often what comes to mind. A favorite location for many Western movies, you’ll have plenty of vantage points to capture the vast, often dramatic sky against the monoliths in the valley.
Monument Valley is sacred land to the Navajo Nation, and you will explore the area with award-winning Navajo photographer LeRoy DeJolie. LeRoy will not only show you the beauty of Navajoland, he will also share his culture and tradition while helping you capture the spiritual qualities of the land in your photographs. Monument Valley is home to some of the most dramatic lighting in the world. Learn how to capture the light and play with color – from the bright red mesas to the darker shadows along the valley floor. Shoot everything from the well-known Mitten Buttes and John Ford’s Point to rippling sand dunes and massive rock monoliths. You’ll cover the entire area – from down in the Valley to high on Hunt’s Mesa. You will even spend one inspirational night camping out on Hunt’s Mesa, shooting sunset and sunrise there. LeRoy help you expand your creative vision. You will also have an opportunity to photograph petroglyphs, ruins and the pancakes in Mystery Valley.
We will be conducting several image critiques. You can use this time to learn what to consider on your next day’s shoot as well as post processing tips to apply when you get home.
So walk in the shoes of John Ford, John Wayne and…Forrest Gump! Join us for a once in a lifetime trip to Monument Valley and Hunt’s Mesa.
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix, Arizona
- Hotel lodging based on double occupancy
- Outfitter will provide tents, sleeping bags, pads, and meals on Hunts Mesa
- Water, snacks and a farewell dinner
- All applicable entrance, model, park, permit, outfitter and tour fees
- Post workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Sunday, May 5
- Meet in parking lot of the Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport location no later than 6:45 am for a 7:00am departure.
- Arrive Cameron Trading Post where we will have an early lunch.
- Arrive at Kayenta and check-in.
- After getting settled LeRoy will give a presentation before departing for a sunset shoot at El Capitan.
- We will return to Kayenta for dinner.
Day 2 – Monday, May 6
- Early rise for a sunrise shoot at Church Rock.
- We’ll return to our hotel for breakfast and a critique of your work.
- Before noon we will store our extra luggage before the outfitters take us to Hunt’s Mesa late morning.
- We will enjoy a box lunch en route.
- Along the way we will have several photographic opportunities before arriving on Hunt’s Mesa.
- Sunset and Camp on Hunt’s Mesa.
Day 3 – Tuesday, May 7
- Early rise out of our tents to catch sunrise from Hunt’s Mesa and a variety of panoramic views of the Valley floor while our outfitters will get the coffee going and breakfast ready.
- After breakfast we will break camp and travel to Mystery Valley then on to photograph petroglyphs, ruins and the pancakes.
- Early afternoon we’ll arrive at Goulding’s, check-in and have some down time to download images and get refreshed.
- Mid-afternoon we will hold a critique session of images taken on the Mesa and Mystery Valley.
- Our day will end with a sunset shoot at the Mittens.
Day 4 -Wednesday, May 8
- Early rise for first light in Monument Valley. We will begin our day with a half day tour of the Valley to photograph Yei Be Chei at sunrise.
- Ear of the Wind, Running Antelope, John Ford’s Point and Three Sisters are also stops.
- Back to Gouldings for rest and download time.
- We will drive to Mexican Hat and the Goosenecks for sunset and our final dinner.
Day 5 -Thursday, May 9
- On our last morning we will photograph the Mittens at first light.
- Return to Goulding’s for breakfast and check-out.
- We will stop en route for lunch.
- Arrive into Phoenix late evening.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Short hikes on ungraded terrain. Some scrambling on rocks. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots recommended. While in Monument Valley we will be traveling by off-road vehicles on non-paved roads over very bumpy terrain to reach certain photographic locations.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop partipants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
The first night of our journey will be in Kayenta, AZ where we will stay one night before heading out to Hunt’s Mesa. Lodging is based on double occupancy. Single room supplements are available for an additional fee.
Monument Valley, UT
Navajo Outfitters will provide all the necessary provisions, equipment and meals for the overnight out on Hunt’s Mesa. Individual tents, cots and sleeping gear will be provided for each participant. Excess luggage will be securely secured with our tour driver while out on the Mesa.
Monument Valley, UT
Phone: (435) 727-3231
During the workshop we will stay at Goulding’s Lodge. This lodging is included in your workshop fee. Single rooms are available for an additional fee.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 60 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.