Photograph Monument Valley and Hunts Mesa — one of the most iconic and unique areas in the American West. A favorite location for many Western movies, you’ll have plenty of vantage points to capture the vast, often dramatic sky against the monoliths in the valley.
Monument Valley is sacred land to the Navajo Nation, and you will explore the area with award-winning Navajo photographer LeRoy DeJolie. LeRoy will not only show you the beauty of Navajoland, he will also share his culture and tradition while helping you capture the spiritual qualities of the land in your photographs. Monument Valley is home to some of the most dramatic lighting in the world. Learn how to capture the light and play with color – from the bright red mesas to the darker shadows along the valley floor. Shoot everything from the well-known Mitten Buttes and John Ford’s Point to rippling sand dunes and massive rock monoliths. You’ll cover the entire area – from down in the Valley to high on Hunt’s Mesa. You will even spend one inspirational night camping out on Hunt’s Mesa, shooting sunset and sunrise there. LeRoy will help you expand your creative vision.
You will enjoy special guided tours to photograph petroglyphs, ruins and the pancakes in Mystery Valley as well as a visit to a traditional Navajo hogan and a sheep drive across the sandy dunes.
We will be conducting several image critiques. You can use this time to learn what to consider on your next day’s shoot as well as post processing tips to apply when you get home.
So walk in the shoes of John Ford, John Wayne and…Forrest Gump! Join us for a once in a lifetime trip to Monument Valley and Hunt’s Mesa.
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix, Arizona*
- Hotel lodging based on single occupancy**
- Outfitter will provide tents, sleeping bags, pads, and meals on Hunts Mesa
- Water, snacks and a farewell dinner
- All applicable entrance, model, park, permit, outfitter, tour fees and gratuities
- Post workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
**Group transportation is included in the workshop fee with a maximum of 5 passengers per vehicle. Should COVID pandemic concerns continue to warrant self-driving, your workshop fee will be adjusted accordingly.
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Wednesday, May 12, 2021
- Meet in parking lot of the Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport location no later than 6:45 am for a 7:00am departure.
- Arrive Cameron Trading Post where we will have an early lunch.
- Arrive at Kayenta and check-in.
- After getting settled LeRoy will give a presentation before departing for a sunset shoot at El Capitan.
- We will return to Kayenta for dinner.
Day 2 – Thursday, May 13, 2021
- Early rise for a sunrise shoot at Church Rock.
- We’ll return to our hotel for breakfast and a critique of your work.
- Before noon we will store our extra luggage before the outfitters take us to Hunt’s Mesa late morning.
- We will enjoy a box lunch en route.
- Along the way we will have several photographic opportunities before arriving on Hunt’s Mesa.
- Sunset and Camp on Hunt’s Mesa.
Day 3 – Friday, May 14, 2021
- Early rise out of our tents to catch sunrise from Hunt’s Mesa and a variety of panoramic views of the Valley floor while our outfitters will get the coffee going and breakfast ready.
- After breakfast we will break camp and travel to Mystery Valley then on to photograph petroglyphs, ruins and the pancakes.
- Early afternoon we’ll arrive at Goulding’s, check-in and have some down time to download images and get refreshed.
- Mid-afternoon we will hold a critique session of images taken on the Mesa and Mystery Valley.
- Our day will end with a sunset shoot at the Mittens.
Day 4 -Saturday, May 15, 2021
- Early rise for first light in Monument Valley. We will begin a full day tour of the Valley to photograph Yei Be Chei at sunrise.
- Our tour will include stops at a Navajo hogan along with a sheep drive as well as photo opportunities at North Window, John Ford’s Point, Three Sisters and Tear Drop Arch.
- Back to Gouldings for rest and download time.
- We will drive to Mexican Hat and the Goosenecks for sunset and our final dinner.
Day 5 -Sunday, May 16, 2021
- On our last morning we will photograph the Mittens at first light.
- Return to Goulding’s for breakfast and check-out.
- We will stop en route for lunch.
- Arrive into Phoenix late evening.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Short hikes on ungraded terrain. Some scrambling on rocks. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots recommended. While in Monument Valley we will be traveling by off-road vehicles on non-paved roads over very bumpy terrain to reach certain photographic locations.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
The first night of our journey will be in Kayenta, AZ where we will stay one night before heading out to Hunt’s Mesa. Lodging is based on single occupancy. Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Monument Valley, UT
Navajo Outfitters will provide all the necessary provisions, equipment and meals for the overnight out on Hunt’s Mesa. Individual tents, cots and sleeping gear will be provided for each participant. Excess luggage will be securely secured with our tour driver while out on the Mesa.
Monument Valley, UT
Phone: (435) 727-3231
During the workshop we will stay at Goulding’s Lodge. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.