Windswept mesas, monolithic towers of red rock, and ancient petroglyphs are just a sampling of the great locations we will photograph in Monument Valley and Hunts Mesa. A favorite location for many Western movies, there will be several vantage points to capture the vast, often dramatic sky against the monoliths in the valley.
Monument Valley is sacred land to the Navajo Nation, and you will explore the area with award-winning Navajo photographer LeRoy DeJolie. LeRoy will not only show you the beauty of Navajoland, he will also share his culture and tradition while helping you capture the spiritual qualities of the land in your photographs. Monument Valley is home to some of the most dramatic lighting in the world. Learn how to capture the light and play with color – from the bright red mesas to the darker shadows along the valley floor. Shoot everything from the well-known Mitten Buttes and John Ford’s Point to rippling sand dunes and massive rock monoliths. You’ll cover the entire area – from down in the Valley to high on Hunt’s Mesa. You will even spend one inspirational night camping out on Hunt’s Mesa, shooting sunset and sunrise there. LeRoy will help you expand your creative vision.
You will enjoy special guided tours to photograph petroglyphs, ruins, and the pancakes in Mystery Valley as well as a visit to a traditional Navajo hogan and a sheep drive across the sandy dunes.
We will be conducting several image critiques. You can use this time to learn what to consider on your next day’s shoot as well as post-processing tips to apply when you get home.
So walk in the shoes of John Ford, John Wayne, and…Forrest Gump! Join us for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Monument Valley and Hunt’s Mesa.
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Photographic instruction
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix, Arizona
- Hotel lodging based on single occupancy*
- The outfitter will provide tents, sleeping bags, pads, and meals on Hunts Mesa
- Water, snacks, and a farewell dinner
- All applicable entrance, model, park, permit, outfitter, tour fees, and gratuities
- Post-workshop critique
*Double occupancy permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Wednesday, May 10, 2023
- Meet in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport location no later than 6:45 am for a 7:00 am departure.
- Arrive at Cameron Trading Post where we will have an early lunch.
- Arrive at Kayenta and check in.
- After getting settled LeRoy will give a presentation before departing for a sunset shoot at Church Rock.
- We will return to Kayenta for dinner.
Day 2 – Thursday, May 11, 2023
- Early rise for a sunrise shoot at El Capitan.
- We’ll return to our hotel for breakfast and a critique of your work.
- Before noon we will store our extra luggage before the outfitters take us to Hunt’s Mesa late morning.
- We will enjoy a box lunch en route.
- Along the way, we will have several photographic opportunities before arriving on Hunt’s Mesa.
- Sunset and Camp on Hunt’s Mesa.
Day 3 – Friday, May 12, 2023
- Early rise out of our tents to catch the sunrise from Hunt’s Mesa and a variety of panoramic views of the Valley floor while our outfitters will get the coffee going and breakfast ready.
- After breakfast, we will break camp and travel to Mystery Valley then on to photograph petroglyphs, ruins, and the pancakes.
- Early afternoon we’ll arrive at Goulding’s, check in, and have some downtime to download images and get refreshed.
- Mid-afternoon we will hold a critique session of images taken on the Mesa and Mystery Valley.
- Our day will end with a sunset shoot at the Mittens.
Day 4 -Saturday, May 13, 2023
- Early rise for first light in Monument Valley. We will begin a full-day tour of the Valley to photograph Yei Be Chei at sunrise.
- Our tour will include stops at a Navajo hogan along with a sheep drive as well as photo opportunities at North Window, John Ford’s Point, Three Sisters, and Tear Drop Arch.
- Back to Gouldings for rest and download time.
- We will drive to Mexican Hat and the Goosenecks for sunset and our final dinner.
Day 5 -Sunday, May 14, 2023
- On our last morning, we will photograph the Mittens at first light.
- Return to Goulding’s for breakfast and check-out.
- We will stop en route for lunch.
- Arrive in Phoenix late evening.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate.
Short hikes on ungraded terrain. Some scrambling on rocks. Sturdy shoes or hiking boots recommended. While in Monument Valley we will be traveling by off-road vehicles on non-paved roads over very bumpy terrain to reach certain photographic locations.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
The first night of our journey will be in Kayenta, AZ where we will stay one night before heading out to Hunt’s Mesa. Lodging is based on single occupancy. For companions traveling together and wishing to share lodging, a discount will be provided. Please contact our office so that we may make this adjustment.
Monument Valley, UT
Navajo Outfitters will provide all the necessary provisions, equipment, and meals for the overnight out on Hunt’s Mesa. Individual tents, cots, and sleeping gear will be provided for each participant. Excess luggage will be securely secured with our tour driver while out on the Mesa.
Monument Valley, UT
Phone: (435) 727-3231
During the workshop, we will stay at Goulding’s Lodge. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. For companions traveling together and wishing to share lodging, a discount will be provided. Please contact our office so that we may make this adjustment.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
CANCELATION POLICY: All cancelations must be in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $250
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $250 administrative fee. The remainder of the fees paid can be used toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.