Monument Valley and Hunt’s Mesa always inspire photographers at sunrise and sunset with its sweeping vistas and iconic formations, but photographing this epic landscape at night opens up a whole new breathtaking view of stellar photography.
This workshop has been timed to coincide with dark skies, Milky Way and moonlit landscapes. Join Beth Ruggiero-York for three amazing nights in this enchanting landscape.
The first and third night will be based from Gouldings Lodge where we will have a chance to photograph the Mittens and other stunning formations at sunrise, sunset and, of course, under the starlit skies.
Our second night will be spent camping on Hunt’s Mesa, where we will photograph the sweeping valley below and the celestial heavens above. Our Navajo outfitters will provide all of our camping necessities, meals and transportation so that we can focus on capturing the beautiful night skies.
Our field sessions will be complemented by a classroom session on night photography along with an image critique to help you improve your night photography techniques. Don’t miss this photography opportunity to discover the beauty of Monument Valley & Hunt’s Mesa at night.
- Photographic Instruction
- Post Workshop Image Critique
- Permits, park entrance and tour fees
- Lodging for two nights
- Round trip transportation from Phoenix as well as during the workshop
- Individual tent lodging for one night while on Hunts Mesa
- Water, snacks, meals while camping and final dinner on the last evening.
- Outfitter gratuities (if you wish to tip your outfitter guides additionally it is welcomed but not necessary)
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Thursday, September 19
- Depart Phoenix at 8:00 AM for Monument Valley.
- Stop for lunch in Cameron.
- Arrive at Gouldings Lodge mid-afternoon for check in and a presentation on night photography.
- After dinner at the hotel, we will shoot sunset into night at Three Sisters or John Ford’s Point.
Day 2 – Friday, September 20
- Early wake up to shoot sunrise over the Mittens from our hotel.
- At noon, we will depart for Hunt’s Mesa, where our Navajo guide will introduce us to the area.
- Shoot sunset and night from the Mesa.
Day 3 – Saturday, September 21
- Sunrise and golden hour shoot from Hunt’s Mesa.
- Depart the Mesa at about noon to go back to Monument Valley.
- Check back in at Gouldings Lodge.
- We will hold a critique session in the afternoon before preparing for our final night shoot.
- Late in the afternoon we will go back into Monument Valley to photograph Artist Point.
Day 4 – Sunday, September 22
- Depart Monument Valley for Phoenix with a stop in Flagstaff for lunch.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop partipants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
Monument Valley, UT
During the workshop we will stay at the Hillside Suites at Gouldings Lodge on two separate nights. This lodging is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. Should you wish a single room you must select a single supplement at registration.
Outfitter Lodging on Hunt’s Mesa
Single tents, sleeping bags, and cots are provided by our guided Navajo outfitter for our one night camping on Hunt’s Mesa.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 60 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.