Add impact and excitement to your photography by learning to capture living subjects in motion! The skills and techniques learned here are applicable to multiple genres of photography including travel, adventure, sports, and even wildlife.
The best way to master the thrill and excitement of action photography is to learn by doing and there will be plenty of doing in this action-packed 3-day workshop. We start by learning to optimize camera settings for creative action photography taking advantage of today’s sophisticated focusing systems. We will build confidence and practice changing and optimizing camera settings on the fly minimizing missed action opportunities. We will learn and practice working with talent including art direction, location, and background choices that work with the subject and how to capture peak action, decisive moments, speed, power, and grace all while maintaining authenticity and capturing candid moments. Learn what design techniques maximize impact. We will also discuss, demonstrate and practice best lighting scenarios and how to incorporate minimalist supplemental lighting on our action subjects.
Join Michael DeYoung for this action-packed workshop.
- Classroom presentations
- on-location demonstrations and practice sessions with models and props (trail runners, mountain bikers, horse-riders, dancers)
- location and model fees
- mid-workshop critique and progress check
- post-workshop critique
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
- The workshop will begin with a morning classroom session to review the fundamentals of effective action photography and optimal camera settings for shooting motion.
- Afternoon and evening moving subject focus practice with models.
- We will begin our day with a sunrise and morning shoot with models.
- After a break for lunch, we will have a progress check and an early afternoon critique followed by a presentation and demonstration on using supplemental lighting.
- Then we will head out for our afternoon through evening shoot with models.
- We will start our last day with a final sunrise and morning shoot with models.
- After a lunch break, we will return to the classroom for post-processing techniques to bring out the most in your action images.
- The workshop will end at 5:00 pm.
The workshop will be based from:
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Phoenix North – Happy Valley
24655 N 23rd Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85085
The base fee for this workshop does not include lodging. Should you wish 2 nights’ lodging under our booking, please select the option at checkout.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
CANCELATION POLICY: All cancelations must be in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100.
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less a $100 administrative fee. The remainder of the fees paid can be used toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less the $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If registering within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.