What if there was a spectacular, little known canyon that lies between Lake Powell and the Grand Grand Canyon that was almost never photographed, would you want to go? Well, there is, it’s called Marble Canyon! We’re going there this September and would love it if you could join us.
For every 6,000,000 people that visit the Grand Canyon each year, less than 1/10 of 1% would even know about Marble Canyon. It’s 65 miles of magnificent Canyon that eventually become the Grand Canyon and it’s almost never photographed. You’ll come away with gorgeous one-of-a-kind photographs from one of the most beautiful canyons on the planet.
Your lead photographer Shane McDermott has been photographing Marble Canyon for over 12 years and is willing to share with you his favorite locations. Highlights include many remote rim locations with miles of unobstructed views of the Colorado River running through the red wall gorge below. A 3000′ rim view of 4 massive bends in the Colorado River with no one else in sight!
On this tour, we’ll also visit Shanes’ secret locations at Coal Mine Canyon. Coal Mine is another beautifully striated colorful canyon and a true hidden gem of the southwest. We’ll visit secret locations few others know about. Again, you’ll come away with rare images of one of the most enchanting canyons in the entire southwest.
This workshop will also be a great opportunity to take your creative image-making to the next level. Shane has a unique talent for helping photographers break through their creative barriers both behind the camera and behind the screen.
We hope to see you in September.
- Hands-on instruction and image critiques
- Round trip transportation from Phoenix
- Four-nights lodging based on Double/Single occupancy
- Water, snacks and a group meal
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day One: Sunday, September 27, 2020
- We’ll meet at our departure hotel in Phoenix at 7:30 for a 8:00 am departure.
- In route, we will stop at Cameron Trading Post for lunch.
- We will arrive at Cliff Dwellers’ early afternoon and have a brief orientation.
- After check-in, the group will head out to Marble Canyon for a sunset shoot.
- Back to the lodge between 7-7:30 pm for dinner.
Day Two: Monday, September 28, 2020
- Leave at 5:30 am for sunrise at Lee’s Ferry.
- We will return to Cliff Dwellers for breakfast.
- The group will have downtime to rest and process images until after lunch.
- We will hold our first image critique early afternoon.
- Mid-afternoon, we will depart for our sunset shoot at Marble Canyon rim locations.
- We will return to the lodge after dark for dinner.
Day Three: Tuesday, September 29, 2020
- Up early for a sunrise shoot at Vermillion Cliffs.
- We will return back to Cliff Dwellers’ for breakfast and downtime through lunch.
- Leave early afternoon for our Marble Canyon rim locations. This excursion will involve a roundtrip hike approximately 3 miles.
- We will return to the lodge after dark for dinner
Day Four: Wednesday, September 30, 2020
- Sunrise shoot around Cliff Dwellers.
- Breakfast, pack, and check out late morning.
- Drive to Tuba City and arrive at hotel.
- Lunch break
- Classroom critique or processing session
- Check-in to our rooms at 3 pm.
- Depart mid-afternoon for our sunset shoot at Coal Mine Canyon.
Day Five: Thursday, October 1, 2020
- 5:30 am Sunrise shoot at Coal Mine Canyon.
- Return for breakfast.
- Classroom session and workshop closure.
- Depart for home with a stop for lunch in Flagstaff.
- Arrive Phoenix late afternoon.
Arrive back to Phoenix between 3:30-4 pm.
Activity Level: Moderate
This workshop takes place on the Colorado Plateau with shooting locations on ungroomed surfaces and terrain. Shooting locations will involve some hiking with the furthest hike approximately 3 miles round trip. Weather is typically temperate this time of year.
The Workshop will Depart From and Return to Phoenix, AZ
Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
HC67 Box 30
Marble Canyon, AZ
Phone: (928) 355-2261
Lodging is included in your workshop fee based on double occupancy. A single room supplement is available for an additional fee at time of registration.
Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites
1 Legacy Lane
Tuba City, AZ 86045
Phone: (928) 283-4500
Lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.