Many photographers enjoy photographing the Colorado River and canyon views from the North or South Rims of the Grand Canyon or from the Navajo Bridge at Lee’s Ferry, but seldom do photographers venture out into the backroads of the Vermillion Cliffs Monument to capture the deep river gorge known as Marble Canyon. Name for its colorful rocks and cliff walls, Marble Canyon offers epic views and remote rim locations with miles of unobstructed views of the Colorado River running through the red wall gorge below. What’s better than a 3000′ rim view of 4 massive bends in the Colorado River with no one else in sight?
After two and a half days in Marble Canyon, we will head to Tuba City, where we will be based for the remainder of our stay. Here we will access the intriguing location of Coal Mine Canyon. Another beautifully striated colorful canyon, Coal Mine is nestled within the Hopi and Navajo reservations and is a true hidden gem of the southwest. Here we’ll visit locations few others know about and you will come away with rare images of one of the most enchanting canyons in the entire southwest.
This workshop offers a great opportunity to take your creative image-making to the next level. Tom has a unique talent for helping photographers break through their creative barriers both behind the camera and behind the screen.
- Hands-on instruction and image critiques
- Four-nights of single-occupancy lodging
- Round trip transportation from Phoenix
- Water, snacks, and a group meal
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that the shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day One: Tuesday, October 24, 2023
- We’ll meet at our departure hotel in Phoenix at 7:30 for an 8:00 am departure.
- En route, we will stop at Cameron Trading Post for lunch.
- We will arrive at Cliff Dwellers’ early afternoon and have a brief orientation.
- After check-in, the group will head out to the rim of Marble Canyon for a sunset shoot.
- We will return later to the lodge for dinner.
Day Two: Wednesday, October 25, 2023
- Leave at 5:30 am for sunrise at the Cathedral Mt. Boulders & Lee’s Ferry.
- We will return to Cliff Dwellers for breakfast and afterward have a post-production session and critique until lunch.
- Following lunch, we will have a classroom session on how to photograph stars.
- Mid-afternoon we will depart for an afternoon and sunset shoot at a Marble Canyon rim location then go to the base of Vermillion Cliffs to photograph stars.
- Time permitting, we will return to the lodge later that night for dinner.
Day Three: Thursday, October 26, 2023
- Following breakfast, we will have a morning post-production and critique session.
- Later we will travel to the Navajo & Hopi Reservations for lunch and check into the Moenkopi Legacy Inn.
- Our sunset shoot will be at Coal Mine Canyon on the reservation.
- We will return to the hotel after dark for dinner.
Day Four: Friday, October 27, 2023
- Leave at 5:30 am to go to another location in Coal Mine Canyon for sunrise.
- We will return to the hotel for breakfast and a morning post-production session & critique.
- Early afternoon we will travel to Blue Canyon to capture late afternoon light and sunset.
- We will return to the hotel after dark.
Day Five: Saturday, October 28, 2023
- Following breakfast, we will have a final post-production and critique.
- Late morning, we will depart with a stop for lunch in Flagstaff.
- Arrive back in Phoenix between 3:30-4 pm.
Activity Level: Moderate
This workshop takes place on the Colorado Plateau with shooting locations on ungroomed surfaces and terrain. Shooting locations will involve some short hikes over rocky surfaces with the furthest hike approximately 2 miles round trip.
The Workshop will Depart From and Return to Phoenix, AZ
Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
HC67 Box 30
Marble Canyon, AZ
Phone: (928) 355-2261
Two nights of single-occupancy lodging is included in your workshop fee. Double occupancy is permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
Moenkopi Legacy Inn & Suites
1 Legacy Lane
Tuba City, AZ 86045
Phone: (928) 283-4500
Two nights of lodging is included in your workshop fee based on single occupancy. Double occupancy is permitted for two participants traveling together. A discount will be provided.
If you are concerned about the possibility of canceling your trip we urge you to protect your workshop investment and purchase travel insurance. We strongly recommend that you purchase a travel insurance plan with a “Cancel for Any Reason” option. Many guests have last-minute injuries, emergencies, or life changes that can disrupt their plans only to wish they had a way to recoup their lost expenses.
There are a number of reputable companies that provide Travel Insurance. For a listing of providers, you can visit www.insuremytrip.com. AHPS has partnered with TravelEx Insurance Services over the years and has found them to be reputable and offer comprehensive plans at competitive prices. For more information visit www.travelexinsurance.
- If you must cancel your reservation 91 or more days before your trip, you must notify us in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org. After we receive your written cancelation you will be refunded any amount you have paid less the non-refundable $100 processing fee.
- If your cancelation occurs between 61-90 days before your workshop departure, Arizona Highways PhotoScapes will issue a credit voucher for any fees paid that you can use toward a future workshop within 18 months of cancelation.
- Should you cancel less than 60 days prior to your trip, no refunds will be made and you will forfeit any funds paid to Arizona Highways PhotoScapes.*
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less a $100 processing fee.
This cancellation policy applies in every situation and there will be no exceptions made for any reason. We will not issue refunds for cancelations due to illness or late arrivals due to travel delays.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due. If final payments are not received by 70 days prior to your workshop, your registration is subject to forfeiture including all fees paid to date.
If you register within 90 days of your workshop, full payment is due at the time of registration.