Learn to photograph Arizona desert landscapes on this unique camp-based workshop in the secluded Kofa National Wildlife Refuge with professional photographer and instructor Laurence Parent. The abrupt west face of the mountains offers great evening photos from Palm Canyon Road, plus the giant monoliths at the entrance to Kofa Queen Canyon look spectacular at sunrise and sunset. We will also capture striking views from King Valley Road at sunrise on the north end of the Castle Dome Mountains. Within a short half-mile walk up Palm Canyon you will have a perfect view of the palms. Should you wish to be very adventurous and want to get close to the palms, then you should plan on a short, but steep scramble up into the side canyon, about 200 vertical feet above. While it’s not necessary to climb to the palms to see them, the best photos of the trees do require the scramble.
The abrupt west face of the mountains offer great evening photos from Palm Canyon Road. We will also capture striking views from King Valley Road for sunrise on the north end of the Castle Dome Mountains.
Our camping outfitter will provide all the camp gear, tents, sleeping bags, pads, and meals during this workshop. Cots are available for an additional fee.
- Roundtrip transportation from Phoenix
- Photographic instruction
- All camping gear including tents, sleeping bags, pads.
- All meals
- All necessary entrance and permit fees
- Pre-workshop webinar
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on light and weather conditions. We want to give you the best photo opportunities possible.
Day 1 – Friday, February 22
- Depart from the Holiday Inn & Suites Phoenix Airport at 8:00am.
- Arrive at camp and have lunch.
- After we settle into camp we will go out to the Palm Canyon trailhead and hike up for a view of the palms.
- After photographing the palms from a distance, those physically able and interested can scramble up to palms and we’ll spend some time photographing them up close.
- Back at camp we will review the shoot and prepare for our sunset photo op around the Palm Canyon Road area.
- Return to camp.
Day 2 – Saturday, February 23
- Our day will begin with a sunrise shoot off of King Valley Road where we will photograph the north end of the Castle Dome Mountains.
- After sunrise we’ll return to camp for brunch and a discussion about photographing the desert.
- After brunch and a break, we will drive to the mouth of Kofa Queen Canyon for sunset photos of giant volcanic monoliths and surrounding craggy peaks, framed by saguaro and teddy bear cholla cacti.
- We will photograph through sunset, returning to camp for dinner.
Day 3 – Sunday, February 24
- Photograph the backlit monoliths and plentiful cacti at the mouth of Kofa Queen Canyon at sunrise.
- Break camp by late morning and return to Phoenix.
Strenuous Rating: Moderate to Difficult
This is a camping based workshop at dispersed camping sites. Must be physically comfortable with hiking up to 2 miles roundtrip and optional rock climbing/scrambling up canyon raveens.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn Phoenix Airport
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop partipants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop:
Arizona Outdoor Adventure will provide all the camp gear and meals for this workshop.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel any workshop if our minimum student enrollment is not met. In the event AHPS cancels a workshop, participants will be given the option to reschedule to a later date or receive a full refund for the workshop components booked directly with AHPS. Please Note: we are not liable for the additional expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 60 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.