Photograph the Kofa Mountains and intriguing landscapes of the Kofa National Wildlife Refuge with outdoor photographer, Laurence Parent. This craggy volcanic range and Sonoran Desert landscape offer a wide range of photographic opportunities from the abundance of cacti and unique desert botanicals, jagged mountain peaks, native palms, steep canyons and one of the largest herds of desert bighorn sheep.
Kofa’s back country is one of Laurence’s favorite Arizona photo destinations. During this 3-day photo getaway, Laurence will guide you to perfect desert landscapes for capturing sunrise, sunset and intriguing compositions. In addition, he will help you hone your skills in creative image-making through in-field and classroom instruction.
Don’t miss this opportunity to explore and photograph the pristine desert landscapes of this amazing region.
- Photo instruction
- Round trip transportation from Phoenix
- Two nights lodging based on double occupancy
- Picnic lunch, water, and snacks
- Permit fees
- Post-workshop critique
Day 1 – Friday, January 29, 2021
- Depart Phoenix mid-morning for the Kofa Mountains stopping in route for a late lunch in Quartzsite.
- Photograph in the Kofa Mountains from late afternoon through early evening along Palm Canyon Road.
- Drive to Blythe to check into our accommodations and eat dinner.
Day 2 – Saturday, January 30, 2021
- Early departure for a full day in the field.
- Our first location will take us along Palm Canyon Road to capture sunrise shots.
- Continuing with our day, we will go to Palm Canyon and hike up to a view of the native palm trees approximately a half-mile incline. We will photograph the small stand of palms nestled in the canyon.
- (Optional) For those participants who enjoy and are capable of some rock scrambling, Laurence will lead you up higher up the canyon for some close-up views of the palm trees in their dramatic setting.
- The group will take a break to enjoy a picnic lunch before continuing on to explore other shooting locations.
- Our afternoon and sunset locations will take us to the mouth of Kofa Queen Canyon where we will conclude shooting.
- Return to Blythe for dinner and lodging.
Day 3 – Sunday, January 31, 2021
- Rise early for departure to our sunrise locations along King Valley Road in the Castle Dome Mountains.
- Return to the hotel to download images for our late morning critique.
- Check-out of hotel rooms and gather in the meeting space for our late morning image critique.
- Before departing for home, we will have lunch.
- Return to Phoenix arriving late afternoon – early evening.
Physical Rating: Moderate
Temperatures in the desert winter can range from low 30°F to high 60°F. Participants should be prepared with warm clothing and to dress in layers. The workshop includes short walks up to a half-mile round trip including our hike uphill to Palm Canyon*. Other shooting areas will be close to the vehicle on relatively flat but uneven ground with plentiful cacti. Participants should plan on a full-day in the field on Saturday.
*Those more adventurous can engage in some rock scrambling and boulder hopping to reach the higher portions of Palm Canyon.
The Workshop will Depart from / Return to:
Holiday Inn & Suites
3220 S. 48th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034
Phone: (480) 543-1700
Pre-night and post-night rooms are available for workshop participants at our corporate rate. Participants are required to make their own reservations and pay for these dates. The corporate rate is only available on a space-available status and must be booked online. The corporate rate is not available by phone.
Lodging During the Workshop
Hampton Inn & Suites
2011 East Donlon Street
Blythe, California 92225
Two nights lodging, based on double-occupancy, is included in your workshop fee. Should you wish a single room, you must select a single supplement at registration checkout.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. Voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can some time be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.