If you spent Saturdays watching Western Movies (or wish you did) this is the perfect workshop for you, and Jeff Kida is the ideal photographer to lead it. Grab your camera and join us for this old west photography workshop at the White Stallion Ranch just outside of Tucson, Arizona. Our Horses and Cowboys workshop has been a favorite for many, won over by the western charm and stallion stampedes this course has to offer.
You will gain photography experience during both planned portrait sessions and photographing spontaneously around the ranch. Sunrise and sunset shoots will allow you to capture majestic images of horses in the dramatic light of sunrise, and the beautiful desert landscape with more saguaros than you have ever seen in one place. Jeff will show you how to manipulate natural light to create the best photographs possible of the cowboys and cowgirls on the ranch.
Take a journey into Arizona’s iconic landscape of rugged mountains and wide open spaces and photograph a timeless world of horses and cowboys.
- Photographic instruction
- Two nights lodging based on double occupancy. Single rooms and deluxe single rooms are available for an additional fee.
- All meals while at the ranch
- All applicable model, gratuity, park, permit and tour fees
- Post workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting and weather conditions. We want to give you the best possible photo opportunities.
Day 1 – Friday, April 26
- We’ll meet at the ranch at 8:00am for Jeff Kida’s presentation on compositional techniques and how to photograph action and portraits.
- In mid-morning we will do a walk-about in the corrals and tack rooms and work with our ranch models using available light.
- Before lunch we will review and discuss what makes a good photo: composition, metering, exposure, etc.
- Lunch followed by a field session on macro and still life in the Saddle Repair Shop.
- Late afternoon we will photograph cowboys and longhorns at sunset.
- Night shoot painting cowboy models with light
Day 2 – Saturday, April 27
- Saturday will be packed with activity from sunrise until after sunset. You’ll photograph the morning horse drive, wranglers grooming and saddling the horses and other ranch scenes.
- We’ll begin our day with the morning horse drive followed by a field session on natural lighting techniques with our cowboys doctoring horses and working in the tack room.
- We’ll enjoy a bit of downtime to download images prior to lunch.
- After lunch we’ll reconvene in the Longhorn room for a photo critique.
- Late afternoon we’ll head out to the corral for photos of the ranch rodeo, including roping and cattle penning.
- Before dinner we will receive team assignments for portrait shoots.
- Following dinner we will do some light painting in the tack room.
Day 3 – Sunday, April 28
- Sunrise shoot of a beautiful horse and rider.
- After our breakfast, we’ll move through the various portrait spots.
- Ranch check-out followed by our last critique. We’ll finish up after lunch.
- Workshop adjourns by 3:00pm
Strenuous Rating: Easy
Based at the White Stallion Ranch, all the activities will take place in and around the property. All dirt walkways and trails are manicured for easy access. At times we will be inside the corrals and arenas, standing on fence rungs, and standing near livestock. It is important to always be aware of your surroundings. Temperatures this time of year can range from a low in the 50’s to highs in the low 90’s. Please remember a wide-brimmed hat, comfortable clothing, and sturdy walking shoes or boots. Wearing sunscreen and drinking lots of water is encouraged.
White Stallion Ranch
9251 W. Twin Peaks Rd.
Tucson, Arizona 85743
Workshop participants will stay at the White Stallion Ranch. Lodging and meals are included in your workshop fee. Lodging is based on double occupancy. Single rooms are available upon request for an additional fee. The Ranch is an all-inclusive facility, and as such additional nights booked include lodging, meals and other activities. During peak season there is no discounted rate available. There are other less expensive options available within a 15 minute drive of the ranch. To request additional lodging options, please contact our office at 602-712-2004. The White Stallion Ranch does provide airport shuttle service for an additional fee.
- 90 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- Between 89 and 61 days prior to the start of the workshop, AHPS will retain your full deposit.
- 60 days and fewer to the start of the workshop your entire workshop fee is retained.