Join us for an authentic Old West experience at Arizona’s all-inclusive White Stallion Ranch. This unique photography experience will give you an exclusive taste of the American Southwest. Under the watchful eye of Arizona Highways Photo Editor, Jeff Kida will guide you through photographing horse run, barrel racing, cattle penning, and other day-to-day activities of the ranch.
Throughout this three-day workshop, you will gain photography experience during both planned portrait sessions and photographing spontaneously in nature. Sunrise and sunset shoots will allow you to capture majestic images of horses galloping through the dramatic light, and the beautiful desert landscape backdropped by the blazing sky. Jeff will help you manipulate natural light to create the best photographs possible of the cowboys and cowgirls on the ranch.
Take a journey into Arizona’s iconic landscape of rugged mountains and wide-open spaces and photograph a timeless world of horses and cowboys.
- Two nights single occupancy lodging
- All-inclusive meals
- Photo instruction and critiques
- Post-workshop critique
Please be aware that shooting locations stated in this itinerary may change. Each day we will determine which locations are best based on lighting conditions, in the hopes of giving you the best opportunities possible.
Day One – Friday, April 16, 2021
- We’ll meet at the ranch at 8:00am for our photographer’s presentation on compositional technique and how to photograph action and portraits.
- Mid-morning we will do a walk-about in the corrals and tack rooms and work with our ranch models using available light.
- Before lunch we will review and discuss what makes a good photo: composition, metering, exposure, etc.
- Break for lunch and then followed by a field session on macro and still life in the Saddle Repair Shop
- Late afternoon we will photograph a cowboys and long horns at sunset.
- Painting cowboy models with light
Day Two – Saturday, April 17, 2021
- Saturday will be packed with activity from sunrise until after sundown. You’ll have a chance to photograph the morning horse run, wranglers grooming and saddling the horses and other typical ranch scenes.
- We’ll begin our day with the morning horse drive followed by a field session on natural lighting techniques with our cowboys doctoring horses and working in the tack room.
- We’ll enjoy a bit of downtime to download images prior to lunch.
- After lunch, we’ll reconvene in the Longhorn room for a photo critique.
- Late afternoon we’ll head out to the corral for photos of the ranch rodeo, including roping and cattle penning.
- Before our dinner break the group will receive team assignments for portrait shoots.
- Following dinner we will do some light painting in the tack room.
Day Three – Sunday, April 18, 2021
- Sunrise shoot in the early morning desert.
- After our morning breakfast, we’ll visit the portrait locations for assignments.
- Ranch check-out followed by our last critique. We’ll break for lunch at noon and finish up afterwards.
- Workshop adjourns by 3:00pm
Physical Rating: Easy
Based at the White Stallion Ranch, all the activities will take place in and around the property. All dirt walkways and trails are manicured for easy access. At times we will be inside the corrals and arenas, standing on fence rungs, and standing near livestock. It is important to always be aware of your surroundings. Temperatures this time of year can range from a low in the 50’s to highs in the low 90’s. Please remember a wide-brimmed hat, comfortable clothing, and sturdy walking shoes or boots. Wearing sunscreen and drinking lots of water is encouraged.
The workshop departs and returns to:
The workshop includes two nights lodging in nicely appointed casitas. Your fee also includes a complete meal package of breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. Spirits must be purchased on your own. To request pre-workshop lodging you must contact the Ranch directly for availability. Please note, that their rates are all-inclusive of meals.
For lesser expensive pre-workshop lodging options, there are several hotel options within 5 miles of the Ranch including the Hampton Inn & Suites Marana, Holiday Inn Express No. Tucson/Marana, and Days Inn & Suites by Wyndham in No. Tucson/Marana.
- 91 days or more prior to the start of the workshop your deposit will be refunded less $100
- 90 days full payment is due
- 61-90 days your workshop fees will be refunded in the form of an AHPS Store Credit Voucher less $100 administrative fee. The voucher is good for 18 months.
- * 60 days or less until departure – No refund.
* If we are able to fill your seat and the workshop runs at full enrollment we will refund your workshop fees less $100 administrative fee.
NOTE: Workshop bookings including, but not limited to, outfitters, permit agencies, lodging and more are requiring firm financial commitments at 90 days. Therefore, in order to continue to bring you to great destinations, we must strictly adhere to our cancellation policy as outlined above. We recognize cancellations can sometimes be unavoidable that is why securing a Travel Protection Plan is highly encouraged.
Arizona Highways PhotoScapes reserves the right to cancel or change any workshop if our minimum enrollment is not met or if situations beyond our control arise that may create unsafe or undesirable travel conditions. Any cancelation or postponement as a result of situations beyond our control, AHPS does not promise any refunds or credits. If and when feasible, we will attempt to reschedule the workshop at a later date. Alternatively, we may decide to issue you credit for a future workshop, or issue a refund, less any non-refundable deposits we have paid to workshop providers on your behalf.
Please note that AHPS is not liable for any additional participant expenses incurred such as airfare, hotel accommodations, or any other components booked outside of the workshop.
PAYMENT TERMS: A minimum deposit is due at registration to reserve your space. Please refer to the specific workshop for the required deposit. Final payments are due 90 days prior to departure. Approximately 15 days prior to the due date you will receive a reminder email that your balance is coming due.